Tamron 180 f3.5 Di Shots

I got this lens from Crystall yesterday evening (2 days early - thanks Crystall & FedEx ;-)), and took some test shots. I plan to go to the botanical gardens butterfly house this afternoon and get some real world shots. Taken with the D2H / 180 Tamron / SB-800 / 2ea Floods.

For reference, these little purple buds range in size from about 0.5mm to 1.5mm (0.020in to 0.060in).

Tamron 180:
30636806-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikkor 200 f4 AF for comparison:
30636805-O.jpg

Some more 180 shots, taken a little closer:
30636810-O.jpg

30636807-O.jpg

30636809-O.jpg

And finally, a shot of my 'test bug' (found his carcass in the driveway a couple of days ago):
30637600-O.jpg

I was very impressed by the working distance flexibility of this lens. Most of these shots were from 12 inches or further away. I also took a couple of shots with the Kenko extension tubes, and they were very impressive, but I haven't had a chance to process them yet. I can't wait to give the 180 a try in the field. 8)

PGB

Yowza Frank. I think you done good. The detail is awesome, especially on the bug. You can count the hairs.

Flew said:
Wanna go to the HBG this afternoon?? :lol:

I wanna go too! Wait for me! Umm, it will only take me 17 hours to get there okay? :D :D :D

Frank, I am so glad you are enjoying the lens. :lol: See, in the hands of an experienced photographer, almost any lens will perform magic! Your photos are fantastic! I can't wait to see what you find this afternoon. I will check in later. :lol:

Crystall,

I'll give you an update later today (as well as a decision ;-)).

Thanks!!

Frank, these are great shots. I've always been intrigued by that lens but your 200mm comparison shot has me wondering. Is it just me or do the specular highlights on the Tamron look odd? There's something about them that is bothering me. The Nikkor's highlight seem smoother or something while the Tamron's almost make me kind of dizzy. What am I seeing?

Kevin,

I think that I may have over sharpened these a tad, but it could just be better optics in the 200. The lighting in these is horrible because I didn't have a way of triggering the flash off-camera. That is one of the things I need to add in the near future.

Hopefully I'll get some real indication of the quality of the lens this afternoon at the BG. I like what I see so far though. 8)

Hope you post some more. I have been secretly following this lens for a long time but these were somewhat disappointing (in the aspect I mentioned). It is supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses out there, but so far the 200 seems better. I'll standby and withhold judgement yet. ;)

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I do not see enuf difference to stop me from purchasing this lens. It is quite impressive. The 200 nikkor is probably superior, but in these images I am not convinced the margin is significant. Also we have a willing seller and eager buyer, seems a match to me. You have taken more pain and time than anyone I know of in this quest, Frank. You have to like what you see here.
Dave

Dave,

Right on every point. Final decision will be made tomorrow after a trip to the botanical gardens, but I'm pretty sure that I know the answer already. 8)

JPS

Hi Frank ! Looks like Tamron really rocks in the "macro" domain... this 180 SP is something to seriously consider against the Nikkor 200 f/4, and i believe that for most people, the difference in prices is also worth it...

I would love to see a long, serious test, in different light conditions, between the two...

Cheers,
Jean-Pierre

Latest threads

Top Bottom