Tamron 28-75 F/2.8

Just picked one of these up from my local camera shop for $359. The manager threw in a free Hoya 67MM HMC UV(0) filter which I thought was cool. I checked B&H and they have it for $29.99 on their site. I have a filter for my 18-200 also but I have never used it so maybe I put them on both of my Tamron lenses. Just thought I would see what people thought of the lense. I wish I could afford the beast but its not in my budget at this point in time. Any suggestions to see if I have a sharp copy?

I sent mine back to Tamron to calibrate it, because it was misfocusing at times. I absolutely love mine. Fantastic lens.

73694048-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

81707946-L.jpg

100671169-L.jpg

My testing of a Tamron 28-75 and a Nikon 28-70.
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=99435

A good copy of the Tamron 28-75 is a wonderful thing and a true value.
Don't hesitate to get yours calibrated if it disappoints you with respect to sharpness.
It might take 5-6 weeks to get your lens back, but the difference can be night and day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 28-75 Tamron is ok. At f2,8 a bit soft it gets sharp at f4.
The workmanship is quite poor, but what do you await from such a "cheap" lens.

here is one of my best photos with the tamron 28-75:

webt.gif

quote]

If soft wide open, the lens needs to be calibrated. Tamron's quality control for production of this lens is somewhat notorious. When my copy was calibrated, it became as sharp or sharper than my excellent Nikon 28-70. Other owners tell a similar tale.

quote]

If soft wide open, the lens needs to be calibrated. Tamron's quality control for production of this lens is somewhat notorious. When my copy was calibrated, it became as sharp or sharper than my excellent Nikon 28-70. Other owners tell a similar tale.

Same with mine. Took about 4 weeks to get it back. And IMO it's better built than the Nikon 18-70 kit lens.

Hope this is sharp enough at F2.8

122938328-L.jpg

Well I have taken a couple of shots with the lens wide open it seems a bit soft around the edges. I really havent given it a good run though, so since this weekend is Easter, I will put it through some family pics and see what it does. I just can't send it to be calibrated yet, but I would hate to have just purchased a lens and not be able to use it for a month. Don't have a place that can host pics yet so when I do, I will post some pics. It sucks to think that you buy a F/2.8 lens but then usually use it at about F/4 most if the time. I guess thats the way it goes. Thanks for all your input

Eddie

N

Nuteshack

122938328-L.jpg

looks purdy sharp to me:biggrin:

Can't agree with the "not sharp wide open" either. Here is a shot with mine wide open, no pp other than resizing for the post. I shoot mine wide open a lot and have no issues.

I love this lens and it is on my camera most of the time. I got mine used at a local camera shop for $300 and from my experience with it, I am thrilled that I didn't spend the extra cash on "The Beast" since it has allowed me to buy other toys (70-300 VR, flash, etc.)

Enjoy your lens.

DSC_1213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Purdy = pretty. Been a while since this thread and my opinion of the lens has changed. After comparing many shots wide open, I would have to say it is pretty sharp even though I usually stop it down. Since I mostly take portraits of family and friends, this lens is on my D50 all the time.

So, there's something doesn't working here:

pretty = quite (moderately)
bitchen = marvelous..

purdy = pretty = bitchen.. no, something doesn't work.. :) :) :) or is it half way, like "definitely"?

Latest threads

Top Bottom