Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is a contender!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Casket28, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Did a shoot this weekend, RC Drag races for Middle River Hobbies. I was a little worried on the focus speed with the tamron, however, it tracked and got these sub 2 second cars surprisingly well.

Here are a few examples.

9qw8yc.

9jd25f.

2sbqxkk.

3463u6d.

This last one, happened so fast, that i didnt get that great of a pic of it, but i think it did satisfactorily.

Shot with a D200 and a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

CC Welcome.

2. Looks like a great lens, I am hearing good stuff about the optics.

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Nice shots!!! I used to race 1/8 On Road. I'm starting to twitch lookig at those pics, and I smell the fuel!!! EXPENSIVE HOBBY!!!!!

4. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    Come on Joe as a photographer we can not call many hobbies expensive:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Nice to have the other brand lenses step up it can only help improve all lenses. I have some Tamrons and sigmas's I am very happy with.

5. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Oh Contrare!! :biggrin: See that lil car in the first image? Well that car goes about 85-90MPH. I'm not talking scale MPH I'm talking REAL MPH. One crash and the WHOLE front of the car is toast. Probably the whole car needs to be trashed. Oh and did I mention that car kit costs anywhere from $550-$750? Plus around $500 for a decent motor. EVERY accident costs ALOT of money. And every weekend you race.... you crash.........:eek: 

6. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Correction, that car in the first image, ran 1.5 seconds in 300 ft. You do the math :)  thats 120+ mph

Jesse

7. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    That sounds like a hole shot on the majority of NHRA contenders.

8. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

the little green car, that had wrecked was well over 95 mph when that happened. Had it had been more sun out, i would have gotten it much much clearer.

All in all it was a extremly fun day, and looking forward to there next event :) 

9. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    interesting, all the reviews I have seen (Dpreview for example) and feedback from couple of people that have bought and returned was that AF was really quite slow and unacceptable for such high speed action

I am watchig with interest as I have and really like the Tammy 28-75

10. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

It is slow, if you're used to using the nikon version, HOWEVER, for tracking somthing very small, and at very very high rates of speed, it performed well above what i expected. The proof is in the pudding :) 

11. Very cool and glad to hear the Tamron is working out for you. Quick reflexes needed for shooting those little buggers. I gave that hobby (RC Cars) up some years ago. Acting like a 12 year old was fun but the $75/week at the hobby store was taking a toll on my marriage!

12. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I just picked up the Sigma after comparing the two and am satisfied. The only question for me about the Tamron was focus acquisition. I'd say that's no longer a question.:biggrin:

Impressive shots and impressive cars.

13. Well I really like Tamron optics as I have some older-then-me Tamron SP series lens that's doing a fine job with my D200... thank you for sharing the pics Casket.. focus speed doesn't seems to be an issue and I'm ordering this lens right now... it's jost gonna take some time to me to post my sample pics because it's coming from Japan and I'm in Brasil :tongue:

14. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Thanks for the comments guys, I waited for this lens to come out for a couple of months, and glad I waited. The optics are amazing, and to be honest, so is the focus speed for a lens in this price range. 700 dollar lens, to get amazing results, and be a straight 2.8, well, im all for it.

Here are some more images.

2mongns.

3wyfd.

9aakhe.

2cen70w.

72rksk.

299y00.

2n6gizd.

k38znt.

jjy449.

Enjoy!

15. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Not to get off topic, but.... Jesse are you serious???? That 1/8 did 120?????? DAMN!!!!! That can't be a stock motor can it? I been out of the hobby for about 8-9 years. I raced 1/8 all the top and my cars ran 85-90, and that was with a lil porting and polishing. Hehe

Now back to the topic. I think your images with the Tamron came out great, al of them.

16. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Yup, and the faster ones were electric. Brushless is an amazing thing. However, there were some nitro's there that were very very very stiff as far as competition goes. All in all it was a great day, great turnout, alot of awsome cars, and some good clean fun. Most of those were 1/10th scale also. Wasnt many 1/8ths out there, although there were some. The majory were 1/10th. All but about 3 or 4 cars were running well into the 90's.

Just need to fill the frame a little more, then i think ill be ecstatic over them :) 

17. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I've been reading some people post that the Tamron 70-200 is better than the Nikon 70-200VR! Will be interesting to read some more detailed comparisons of all the fast 70-200 zooms.

18. ohhhh i was waiting for this time!! those are great shots.. but it worries me that you said the autofocus is a bit slow? i do have a tamron 17-50 and it performs a little slow too.. i'm concerned that tamron is having this trend of slow lenses on new glass? but boyyy it is sharp!

19. I've not used this on full frame, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Tammy addresses some of the corner performances issues folks report on the D3.

Tamron have an excellent track record with their "SP" range. They can do it. Question is - have they? From what I'm seeing, the answer is a definite maybe :) 

20. No such thing. Anyone that says that is entertaining some wishful thinking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.