1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Casket28, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Anyone else get there hands on this lens? What do you think of it?

I am very satisfied with it, it lacks in some area's as its nikon counterpart, but for a fraction of the cost, it is definatly a winner.

No action shots, but heres a few to show clarity and sharpness.

2hdpt0l.

Ill add some more later :) 

Jesse

2. Ron S

Ron S Guest

I've been curious about this lens myself. I just got an issue of Pop Photo in the mail and according to them, it's supposed to be sharper than the sigma 70-200 F2.8. How's the sharpness and IQ when at minimum distance? Focus speed? Noise? Love to hear some more info. from ya on it. That one you posted looks really great. Is that at F2.8? It looks like a really shallow DOF with the nut out of focus but the two middle keys sharp

cool!

3. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Here are a couple more, some at 2.8, one is stopped down a little. Look at the exif for more details. As for what you were asking. The focus is ok, no where near the 70-200 nikon, but on par with nikon's 17-35. As for noise, its not as quiet as nikons, but its not as loud as most screw drive glass.

All in all, im extremly happy with this lens. If you're on a budget, I think this would be perfect for anyone who wants this kind of range, in a constant aperture lens. 2.8 is a little soft, but far far sharper than my 18-50 sigma 2.8 wide open. It really gets sharp around f 3.5 to f 6

Hope this helps you.

Jesse

b81u6d.

View attachment 221698

View attachment 221699

4. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    All shots have no sharpening applied?

That 1st shot (in 2nd posting) looks sharp!

5. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Yes there is sharpening applied. Here are two with zero sharpening.

At f/2.8

a1626f.

At f/4.5

View attachment 221702

Jesse

6. from my understanding

the focus is hit or miss, otherwise it is very close in IQ to the Nikon.

7. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

From what ive found, the focus is spot on.. everytime, just not as fast as the nikon getting there.

8. Ron S

Ron S Guest

That is plenty sharp looking, at least at that size. I'd rather have accurate focus over fast and hit or miss, so that sounds good too. I might have to put this lens on my wish list!
    Thanks for posting those pics and answering my questions, really appreciated :) 

9. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

not a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.