Tamron 70-200mm 2.8

Anyone got any sport shots with this lens? I've been hearing the Af is kinda slow for sports.

It doesn't have a AF-S type motor, so if you want the fastest AF the Nikon or Sigma 70-200 are still the best bets.

It doesn't have a AF-S type motor, so if you want the fastest AF the Nikon or Sigma 70-200 are still the best bets.

Also from the DPR tests, the Tamron has better IQ than both the Sigma and Nikon so its a trade off if you need a faster/quieter motor.

better IQ than nikkor only in FF mode, and I´ll have to see it with my eyes to believe it.

Well I'm interested in seeing this too first hand. Someone want to lend me a Nikkor since I've already got the Tammy and D700?:biggrin: Although I don't think MTF tests have ever misinterpreted the actual resolving power/sharpness so I'm not expecting much difference from real world tests.

I can't believe even searching the web I can't find ANY sports images shot with this lens.

Well its a new lens and not a likely candidate for pro sport shooters, so that may be why your having a tough time.

AM

Real Name
Randy
better IQ than nikkor only in FF mode, and I´ll have to see it with my eyes to believe it.

i have used the 70-200 on my d3 and I don't understand all the fuss over the light fall off
if i saw it it's a one click fix in most PP s/w
I think the lens rocks on any body i have shot it on and it focuses instanteously....
I can understand not getting it for $$ reasons but I doubt there is a better 70-200 on the planet

271096718_atSd2-XL-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

some of these are iso5k+
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=172445

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
Randy I have no idea either what all the fuss is about.

Nikkor's 70-200mm VR is the best 70-200 EVER.

i guess the next big thing will be a tamron 200/2 that's better than the nikon
yea I'm a Nikon Glass Snob (NGS) and I'm proud of it !

Randy those shots are AWESOME to say the least. Did you try the Tamron on a D200? :biggrin:

Are ALL of these shots taken with the Tamron 70-200?

Why are you posting Nikon 70-200 shots in a thread about Tamron?

No matter what you think about it, the fact is that the Tamron is probably optically better than the Nikkor from what we've seen so far (although I'm waiting for a full and thorough comparison from a trustable source before I fully make up my mind.)

I don't understand why you people get so defensive when a 3rd party manufacturer manages to out do Nikkor. We're not trying to say the Nikon is a poor lens, when in fact all of us will readily admit that it's one of the best zoom lenses ever made. But that Tamron have moved forward and created a better lens.

In the OP, the question was posed how the Tammy would fare in sport shots, not it's optical quality, which is certainly excellent. Clearly the way in which the Tammy is inferior to the Nikkor is in the speed and/or accuracy of it's AF. Examples of the excellence of the Nikkor's sport capturing ability seem both relavent and entertaining. Randy is exhibiting his D3's prodigious ISO capabilities along with his no less impressive abilities as a photographer, but that doen not detract from the pertinance of his wonderful basketball photo.
MHO, Fred

Real Name
Randy
Why are you posting Nikon 70-200 shots in a thread about Tamron?

No matter what you think about it, the fact is that the Tamron is probably optically better than the Nikkor from what we've seen so far (although I'm waiting for a full and thorough comparison from a trustable source before I fully make up my mind.)

I don't understand why you people get so defensive when a 3rd party manufacturer manages to out do Nikkor. We're not trying to say the Nikon is a poor lens, when in fact all of us will readily admit that it's one of the best zoom lenses ever made. But that Tamron have moved forward and created a better lens.

because I wanted to....should I checkin with you next time:smile:
And no one needs to be defensive about the 70-200vr, it is the best zoom on the planet....
If you think the Tamron is better, great, buy one and show us some pics :biggrin:

optically better...WOW, what a term...does that mean it takes better pics

optically better...WOW, what a term...does that mean it takes better pics

I think its a pretty useful term next to "mechanically", "electrically", "aesthetically", etc.

A lens can be better optically and worse mechanically in the case of the Tamron vs Nikkor.

Ok well my question still hasn't been answered. :biggrin: But... My Tamron is due here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get to try it out for myself soon.... shooting sports.

Randy.... I'm sure even if you had the Tamron on your D3 you'd make it sing. NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!!!!!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom