Tamron 70-300 vs series E 70-210

A relative of mine sent me an email telling me how his Tamron 70-300 was soft and horrible compared to his Sony 70-200 f/4, on his alpha 99II.
And it was.
Then I realised I have one (an old Tamron 70-300 macro no VC), bought 2d hand £49.
I compared it to my 70-210 f4 series E film lens, I think bought it £99-129.
I can only say Whao! that Tamron does not cut it at all.
I used my D700 on a tripod with 10s delay.
Judge by yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are the pictures
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I agree, the second one does look soft.
Something isn't making sense. The two images are shot at different exposures, a full stop difference. Was this adjusted in post?
I just want to make sure no one implies that all tamron lenses are soft. Many of the tamron lenses are sharp as a tack, I have shot with several in the past. Not sure that showing a older version lens picked up second hand lens is soft means much. The newer versions of this lens have actually gotten pretty good reviews- for an inexpensive lens. From what I have seen Tamron, as well as other 3rd party manufacturers have upped their game in the last couple of years.
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, the second one does look soft.
Something isn't making sense. The two images are shot at different exposures, a full stop difference. Was this adjusted in post?
I just want to make sure no one implies that all tamron lenses are soft. Many of the tamron lenses are sharp as a tack, I have shot with several in the past. Not sure that showing a older version lens picked up second hand lens is soft means much. The newer versions of this lens have actually gotten pretty good reviews- for an inexpensive lens. From what I have seen Tamron, as well as other 3rd party manufacturers have upped their game in the last couple of years.
Gary
No post
P mode.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom