Tamron 90mm vs Sigma 105mm Macros

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jul 7, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have experience with both of these lenses? I've heard nothing but praise for the Tamron but I stumbled across the Sigma 105 this morning and was curious how it compared.

2. Both exceptional lenses. If you do a search here, on Nikonians.com, photo.net, and fredmiranda.com you will find extensive discussion on this very topic. That would be a lot more efficient than me reiterating all of that for you. I will say that I've had just about every f-mount macro lens and they are all so good that I'd bet that anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference by looking at images.

3. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    I have had both and still have the tamron..They are both very sharp but I just feel the tamron is better..won't go far wrong with either though.

4. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Ditto here.. I own the Tamron and it is the one lens that always gets into my bag regardless of what I intend to shoot that day - you never know when the fancy to capture some macro will hit ya.. and its nice and compact so fits in any of my bags. A real winner for portraits as well... both are solid choices!

5. Tamron has better bokeh (IMHO) and is sharper wide open, I've owned 3 copies of the Tamron and has the 105 Nikon and has shot with a buddy's 105 Sigma.

In the end, I love the Tamron!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i don't think there's any such thing asa "bad" macro...with that said, i think the tamron is one of the better one's, and for the money ($350ish) and 6 year warantee i don't think there's a better deal....;-))

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    nuteshack: Since you've got both the 85 F1.8 and the Tamron 90 F2.8, which do you feel makes a better portrait lens? Portrait and head-to-toe shots (Bike Trials actually) are what I'm after in addition to the standard flower macros... which the 85 is kind of out of the question for.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

the 85 is an excellent portrait lens...i bet with tubes it would be an awesome floral lens too...hard call really, i shot a family re-union today, used the 85 a lot and got some dreamy images with it...i really don't think i could do without either one of these ..lol

9. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I haven't shot with both, just the Tamron and I love it almost as much as I love my dog (which is A LOT)

1007092283_7a77428f5a.

10. I have never used the Tamron but I have the 105 Sigma, I don't think you would be dissapointed. If you have been offered a good deal, it's even better.

Good Luck
    RB