1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tamron AF 300mm F2.8 SP LD IF ??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AshburtonOnline, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Anyone recommend one of these? Tamron AF 300mm F2.8 SP LD IF

My dealer has one at about $1000 US

Good?

2. well ... theres a surprise....not a single answer!

3. I have one and like it a lot!!

This is with the Tamron Pro 2x TC
    0_0_9ddeb9d0853b8e3330d2526412b06794_1.

This is with the 1.4 Tamron pro TC
    View attachment 241432

The AF is fine with the 1.4 TC but with the 2x a bit slow. I did find the D300 made the AF work much better or at least better than with the D200. I have had it from new, that was 12 years ago and it has been to Africa 3 times and The Falkland Islands twice, and it keeps on ticking.

Cheers
    Nancy

4. Thanks very much Nancy :)  My issue is that I can get an EX+ Tamron for the same as a new Nikkor 300 AFS f4.

How is the tamron wide open?

I appreciate your answer.

5. This is an interesting thread because I have recently contemplated getting the Nikon 300mm f/4 but I know I would also be using a 1.4x TC which gives me f/5.6 as my widest aperture.

The Nikon f/2.8 is not possible for me but the Tamron looks very interesting at f/2.8 and with the TC would be f/4.

Other than the 1 stop difference can anyone offer opinion and/or advice regarding this lens choice?

6. Same here Robert...The Nikkor 2.8 is out of the question at present but I don't want the Tamron if its soft at 2.8. I see no point in having 2.8 glass if you can't use it.

There is not much out there on the Tamron in the way of reviews so I'm hoping a few users will offer opinions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.