Tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) and teleconverter

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by OHcorgis, Apr 10, 2007.

1. I just got a Tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) lens today. So far, I am thrilled to have a long lens at a reasonable price. Now I am wondering if I can use my TC-20E II (2.0x) with the Tamron lens, although it might make for more weight than my Gitzo can manage?

2. I also have the 200-500mm f/5.6-6.3 lens, and I would NOT advise putting any teleconverters on it! This lens is already pretty slow and by the time you put even a 1.4x TC on it, you're really cutting out valuable light that is needed, especially in poor light conditions. I don't think that the Nikon TCs will work on the Tamron lens anyway; I would imagine that it would be best to go with the Tamron TC if you really feel you want to try this.

3. Thanks Connie. I heard that someone used a 1.7 teleconverter with his Tamron 200-500. I assumed it was a Nikon teleconverter that he used because I don't see this one on the Tamron site.

I was just wondering because I happen to own the Nikon 2 x, but will take your advice and not try it.

BTW, I am 25 miles from the Apple Store in Legacy Village:)))