Tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) and teleconverter

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by OHcorgis, Apr 10, 2007.

1. I just got a Tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) lens today. So far, I am thrilled to have a long lens at a reasonable price. Now I am wondering if I can use my TC-20E II (2.0x) with the Tamron lens, although it might make for more weight than my Gitzo can manage?

2. I also have the 200-500mm f/5.6-6.3 lens, and I would NOT advise putting any teleconverters on it! This lens is already pretty slow and by the time you put even a 1.4x TC on it, you're really cutting out valuable light that is needed, especially in poor light conditions. I don't think that the Nikon TCs will work on the Tamron lens anyway; I would imagine that it would be best to go with the Tamron TC if you really feel you want to try this.

3. Thanks Connie. I heard that someone used a 1.7 teleconverter with his Tamron 200-500. I assumed it was a Nikon teleconverter that he used because I don't see this one on the Tamron site.

I was just wondering because I happen to own the Nikon 2 x, but will take your advice and not try it.

BTW, I am 25 miles from the Apple Store in Legacy Village:) ))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.