Taos - D200 shots

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by PJohnP, Dec 30, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I've been knocked pretty flat with a bug for about two weeks, with little opportunity to shoot with the D200. Annoying, but necessary. However, when a chum from out of town called this week to get together, I rallied sufficiently for a day out.

On the road to Taos, a short digression brings one to El Santuario de Chimayo, to which pilgrimages are made at Easter, people walking the many miles from Santa Fe, and even some from Albuquerque. Crutches line one wall of a room in the Santuario, cast aside by people healed when they entered and prayed.

[​IMG]

But, miles ahead, Taos holds an iconic location, one painted and photographed for many decades, Taos Pueblo. Walking through the pueblo, one is struck by the many hundreds of years this place has been inhabited. A strong sun washes over the multi-storey structures with a sky so blue and sharp that one could cut the very clouds in the heavens with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pueblo buildings surround a enormous square, immense structures of wood around the square, and a church at the end. Sacred dances and joyous holidays are in the sand underfoot, trod by celebrants but days ago.

[​IMG]

But in the Southwest, water has a special role and place for every man, woman, and child who lives here. A river runs through the centre of the pueblo, the water creating a gentle murmur that underlies everything. Life, indeed, given a quiet voice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photographers walk around the square, some silent in contemplation, others taking a simple pleasure in the moment. Most smile seeing one another, and one poses for me.

[​IMG]

Simple but elegant buildings surround the larger, more photographed multi-storey pueblo dwellings. The shadows are hard-edged on the adobe walls, the mid-day sun casting a wide glance of golden light everywhere that it can reach.

[​IMG]

Elsewhere in this holiday season, those who are no longer present in body have a place where their memory lives; a ruined church slowly returning to the earth like those surrounding it.

[​IMG]
    D200, all shots with 12-24mm AFS or 28-70mm AFS, ISO 100, processed in NC, post-processed in PS-CS2 for crop, copyright, and resize

Always shoot.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  2. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    The other photog in your picture is Ron Reznick. Were you there for one of his workshops?

3. Beautiful images! I loved your commentary to go with them!

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    JB :

Ron Reznick ? Hmmm... :Confused:

Drives a big white SUV ? Good sense of humour and quite knowledgeable ? Shoots with a Nikon ?

Yeah, yeah... I think that's the guy. :wink:

John P.

P.S. Not a workshop or class - he was in the area with his wife on a sort-of vacation (yes, Ron does take such things), and I volunteered an interesting spot for them to see.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ann :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I like to place the photographs in something like a "frame of written images", with an attempt to provide some of the feeling of the moment taking the photographs. Some days it works, others...

John P.

6. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!
    I really, really miss New Mexico. Lived in Albuquerque for 2 years while at UNM. There is SO MUCH there to shoot I would never get anything else done at all :~}. I also lived 2 yrs in Tuscon AZ while at UofA, but New Mexico had my heart for best in the Southwest.
    Post more, more, more please!!

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Andrea :

Another Lobos supporter here ? Heh.

Well...

Since you ask so nicely, here's another shot from Taos Pueblo.

[​IMG]

And remember, you can always move back to the Land of Enchantment ! The Garden State's a great place, but you know you can't get your red or green fix like you can here in NM.

John P.

8. Beautiful shots, John! Just beautiful!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful Images and commentary for them as well.

Thank You :>))

Nice to be out shooting with Ron for sure. How great is that.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Phil :

I live in a lovely place, without question. Photographing it is sort of just a process of pointing the camera and depressing the shutter. Sort of... :rolleyes: :wink:

John P.

11. Very well done! Your images make me want to visit Taos!!

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks very much ! Taos is a wonderful location, and the areas surrounding (not to mention getting there) are just as beautiful. It's a photo-rich environment.

Now, you just have to get on a Southwest flight from Orange County to Albuquerque, drive for about two and half hours, and you'll be in Taos. Easy. :wink:

Come and spend lots of money to keep our local economy afloat ! :biggrin:

John P.

13. Gorgeous series of shots John! You are making that camera sing. And lovely commentary as well.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

Thanks for the kind comments.

And you do know the territory here. Did you get to Taos on your visit to NM ? If you get back here, we'll go and shoot together...

John P.

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gale :

Yeah, getting to chat with Ron and his wife was like a belated Christmas present. Delightful people, great sense of humour, and a chance to see some interesting spots. As you say, "How great is that ?"

John P.

17. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Whew....

Those are stupefyingly good.
    Thanks for posting.

Pat B

18. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Pat :

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Drop by out here and do a little shooting.

John P.

19. Thanks for posting another one !!

adobe, sandstone, soft rose, terra cotta, turquoise, aqua and mile high light -- yeeeeessssss................

It is also hard to get the "stars in the night sky" fix here in NJ because the glow from NYC washes them all away !! As I recall you could almost read by starlight in some parts of Northern New Mexico.