1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tattoo - Her First

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by goodcase, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I went with my friend whilst she got her first tattoo. She got two lines of text running across her ribs that says "Fight The Good Fight Of Faith." Unfortunately this wasn't taken with my Nikon...it was taken with her Pentax...and thus I hope it is still okay that I post the picture.

TeresaTattoore.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Nice capture ..... I have always wanted to do a series on this. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I like this a lot. My brother is a tattoo artist and these are the kind of shots he has requested that I shoot for his shop.... just haven't found the time.

4. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    This is in focus, appropriate DOF and nice moody conversion.

IMO, there are a couple of issues.

1) very loosely cropped, so the extra stuff drains off drama and tension.
    2) you tell us about the tat but don't really show anything beyond the artist's forearm. There is no emotion or drama in the shot.

PJ shots need to make some point and shouldn't have to rely on explanatory text.

5. I had tried cropping the image but I couldn't find a crop that my eye liked. I would have tried to go for a different angle, but I didn't want to get in his way. I more or less had to stay where the chair was. I put it in this section because it is more of a candid shot. Not staged, they didnt know it was happening.

6. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    A possible crop

tattooga5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7. I like that crop Lew.

8. I like the photo, even though it doesn't tell much of a story.

9. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    nice

10. loltographer

loltographer Guest

I like the original picture just the way it is, no crop. The angle of her body gives it depth and perspective, and the background clutter of the shop provides context.

The lighting is great and certainly sets the mood, as does the look of concentration on the tattooist's face and the somewhat winsome faraway stare of the girl.

Don't know what others are missing here, but I think this picture speaks volumes.

11. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    Perhaps it's you that is missing something.

I won't assert that your opinion is lacking if you return the favor.

12. Well done. I like the photo w/no crop. And I like her stomach :tongue:

13. She's definitely a trooper! No sign of pain or uncomfortability. Don't tattoos hurt?:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.