Tawny emperor (Asterocampa clyton)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I have seen only two of these in the past two years – each time, the butterfly spent over an hour investigating an ugly old chair :eek: that I leave near my bird feeders. This species is one that prefers tree sap to flowers, but I don’t know what attracts them to the metal and plastic chair. I hope you’ll pardon me for doing this composite with the butterfly in more attractive surroundings:smile:.

DSC_1801sm.

2. You did a wonderful job putting the image together. That truly is a beautiful butterfly.

I haven't seen very many butterflies in our neck of the woods, yet. Some of my wife's Zinnias and the few wildflowers I planted are just starting to bloom. Maybe they will attract a few eventually.

Nice work!!

3. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Good job. It always seems like they pose the best where the background isn't what you wanted.

4. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    I love the colors but the composition... I don't know..maby too centered. Maby a square crop would be nice here.

cheers, Mark

5. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Tom. I blame it on our weather. Except for the ever present cabbage whites and last week's explosion of buckeyes, I have not seen many either. I did see a single swallowtail and a lonely red-spotted purple today, but they didn't hang around.

Thanks Scott. Sometimes we just have to make do with what we can get:smile:.

6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I agree Mark. This is a quantum leap over the original, but it still lacks something. I wanted to put it in a more natural setting, but a wild cherry tree is not right for this butterfly. I'm just going to have to keep looking for a better background. [If only this species were a flower feeder:biggrin:.]

7. Beautiful shot, Bob!

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very pretty

9. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Jukka and Gale -- I value your comments

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I like the color and the pose of this butterfly. Well done Bob.

11. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Torben. I believe the color is quite accurate. Unlike working with human models, the photographer has little to say about the pose -- you're either lucky or you're not. I felt lucky just to get the shot:wink:.

12. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Nice job. Very good exposure. Butterflies are never easy photos. Thanks for sharing.

13. Family: Brush-footed Butterflies (Nymphalidae)

Subfamily: Emperors (Apaturinae)

Adult food: Tree sap, rotting fruit, dung, carrion. Tawny Emperors almost never visit flowers.

There is a very good chance that this butterfly is feeding on the droppings of the birds or even the oil from the leather.

Bob F.

14. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thank you Jorge.

Thanks for the info Bob -- whatever it was finding, it appeared to be happy as it stayed on the chair for about an hour. [Wonder if I could patent the chair:biggrin::wink:]

15. Very pretty butterfly shot!

16. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Cheryle

17. Bob, I wonder if the warmth of the plastic chair had anything to do with it staying there so long.

18. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Might be -- the chair was partially shaded, and the butterfly walked all over it.
    Thanks for looking and commenting Charlie.