TC-17E II & 200-400mm VR

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Russ Smith, Sep 9, 2005.

1. The TC-17E II is not listed as compatible with the 200-400mm VR at Nikon's web site.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2151

I see on numerous occasions that photographers make reference in their posting that this combination was used to take a particular image.

What is the the real deal on their use together? :confused:

Russ

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Russ :

Works for me, but I will say that it's less able in low light than the TC14EII. Focus speed is definitely lacking in comparison for me in that circumstance. In good light, it's a solid performer, with shots perhaps a little softer than the TC14E, but not critically so.

I've been using a TC17EII on my 200-400mm AFS/VR from day one with the lens. You can make your own judgment if the shots are worthwhile by looking at https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=52831 .

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Russ, I rented a 200-400 VR a couple of weekends ago and tested it will all 3 of the TC's, TC-14E, TC-17EII and TC-20E. I found that the TC-14E didn't make much different in AF, except when we got into heavy overcast and rain on the water. Contrast very low, and all the TC's suffered badly. What surprised me was that all 3 of the TC's performed well when the light was good. I fully expected that the TC-20 would not AF at all. In decent light I saw no hunting with the 14, a little bit with the 17 and a bit more with the 20.

5. Bill,

Out of curiosity. How much did you pay for 200-400 rental ?

6. Our local Rental Place here in Seattle is Glazer's Camera. $65.00 per day is the rate. What is nice is that Rentals is closed on Sunday, so pickup after 3PM on Friday and a 1 day rental gets you use until 10AM Monday. Makes sense to me.

What is interesting, in looking at the rates, is the D2X is $175/day. I suppose that part of this may be due to breakage, but when you consider the cost of the two items, I wonder at the difference in rental cost. I imagine they also figure they will rent the 200-400 more often than a D2X.

Not sure of longer term rentals.