Tc Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Would anyone know if I would see an improvement in IQ on a Nion 80-200 afd 2.8 (two ring) using a 1.4X TAMRON SP 140F-FNS or the Kenko 1.4x 300 series teleconverter over my current model, which is a Kenko 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ? I,ve read somewhere the Kenko 300 series and Tamron SP's may be the same.

Sometimes my results seem O.K. and sometimes not so good. May be operator error.

Any experiences along these lines? Also, would a 2x version provide any decent quality?

Thanks

2. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    I believe the Kenko 1.5x is an old version. The newer Kenko 300 PRO DG should be the latest one. I would think it's better. Yes, Kenko and Tamron TCs are the same.

The Kenko 2x degrades image too much from what I hear while the Kenko 1.4x TC is not bad. Only slightly inferior to Nikkor's 1.4x TC.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nikon's TC14EII would be the best available. Any TC will degrade image quality, and the larger the X factor, the more the image will be degraded. As for the aftermarket stuff, I know many folks with the Kenko 1.4 300 series who say it's almost as good as the Nikkor.

4. Thanks Jason and Baywing. I appreciate the response.

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I have both the KenkoPro and EII 1.4. I use my KenkoPro on the D type lenses and it is very, very good. Hard to tell the difference between it and the TCe1.4 on my 300 AFS.

Images with it and my 80-200 f2.8 are really nice.

6. Just remember that the Nikon TC-14/17/20 will not work on non-AFS lenses, until you do The Modification. Very simple to do, only takes a few minutes.

Also, be aware, very aware, that the Nikon TC's will also not work on other Nikon lenses because of clearance issues with the rear element of the lens. But I can guarantee you that this works great with the 80-200 AFD.

7. Thanks Jeff and Bill. How about the 1.7 TC's? Does anyone know if they degrade the image nearly as badly as the 2X?

8. "Degrade" is an extremely subjective term. I see no visual difference with the 1.4 and the 1.7, some with the 2.0. It is hard to tell sometimes, for me anyway, if this is the TC itself or the consequence of being at a longer focal length. My experience with this is that the Nikon 2x, at least the copy I have, is not nearly as bad as some claim. My normal use rig is a TC-17E on the back-end of a Nikon 400mm f2.8 AFS-I, look for most of the things I have posted in the last year in the Birds forum for examples, or drop me an email and I'll give you access to some test shots. I have even stacked, works only because of the modification I listed, my 1.4 and my 2.0 and have not had anyone yet say "Oh, that looks like MUSH!", but you have to be well locked down and stable with that much added. Wouldn't do it as a "normal" thing, but it does work in the right circumstance.

In a lot of cases it is going to depend on the lens, and the 80-200's have been, in my experience, some of the ones which tolerate the TC's better than others. Be aware that the loss of light will affect both IQ and AF and that the TC-17 may not correctly report EXIF data when used on the older lenses. For example, my EXIF shows 950mm with the 400mm when it should be 680.

9. Thanks for your reply, Bill. I realize results are very subjective. Knowing what others have experienced helps though. Have a great day!

10. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Here's a snapshot taken today with a Tamron 2X SP AF Teleconverter (aka 300F-FNx 2X) and a 80-200 F2.8 and a D50. Focal length was 2X 200mm, lens wide open. Red shows the focus point.

[​IMG]

Here's a full crop.

[​IMG]

In-camera sharpening set to high, no other processing. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  11. Yes it does. Thank you for taking the time to post the images. Looks as if some PP sharpening would make a useable image IMO.

12. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    You're welcome.

FWIW I gave up on moon shoots with the 80-200 until I got a teleconverter. This was taken in less than ideal conditions (between background light and stuff in the air only a few stars were visible at the time). Not the greatest, but for the money and flexibility (you can always take it off) it works for me.

[​IMG]

13. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    The thing about fitting the modded Nikon TCEI/II on the AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 is it's only manual focus since the Nikon TCs lack the screwdriver clutch to drive the AF on the AF-D type lens.

14. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    So would an 80-200 AF-S work on a D50 with Nikon 1.7 TC?
    Particular model required for success? Will A/F still work?
    I've got the lens coming to me this week and am curious about adding a TC for baseball shots.

15. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong