1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

TC14e Test day (MX)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by lexiticus, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Brought along my new (used) TC14E I to test at the track (Not that I need it for any reason, I just wanted to test its AF and Image Quality under regular shooting conditions.

Have to say i'm incredibly impressed, I used it only with my 80-200 af-s, And I Didn't notice any hunting or slow lock or anything, In fact Because of the distance I seem to be taking pics at with this, I seem to keep the rider in focus even easier now! Heres a few examples of quick moving bikes approaching me, and AF-C mode on my D50 trying to keep up (And doing it easily!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Impressively sharp in all the pics aswell, I can't notice a difference wide open (or even stopped down for that matter).
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow awesome !

3. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    All I can say is WOW! Very nicely done!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These are excellant, shooting tight is the key to success. Your first image is a poster waiting to happen!

5. Thanks everyone, Since the lighting was so good at the track that Day I actually ended up taking more pics on Film than I did on my D50, So we shall see if anything turns out on the slide Film I was shooting (when it gets back from the lab), I used the same Combo (1.4 and 80-200) So If i can get some scans i'll put them in here aswell!

(and just got back from a baseball game last night where I took the same lens combo, Never shot baseball before so my keeper rate was LOW)
    When i get a chance i'll probably post a few of those aswell.

6. Ok I think I like the 1.4x TC on there for just straight shooting, I don't have to worry about any loss of sharpness or anything and It seems to give me more accurate AF in the way I shoot.
    Its not that I need the reach at all, I just seem to get nicer pics without any compromises with the lens on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of me looking like an absolute wimp (First time ever riding on the track, or any track for that matter) Also had to borrow the gear :)  hence no jersey!
    [​IMG]

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Great Shots! I agree with Frank..that first one is poster material..all the way!!

8. Great photos. The riders look like they are going to pop out of the screen.

9. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    All great but Super duper first shot especially - and where were you exactly :)  Looks like he was running you to ground :) )

10. A+ on the test

11. Funny you say that, That guy has been around since I first started going to the track, And back then I used an 18-200 and 10-20 primarily, And I liked the wide angle end of it, So I would get REALLY close to the riders when taking pictures

That guy figured it out and so now, he will Always go out of his way to end up zooming like inches away from me!
    With the 80-200 I don't need that, BUT it does give me better oportunities sometimes, So I don't bother correcting him.

And to answer your question, I was about 1 foot onto the track, After taking the pic I moved back off of the track (I wouldn't have been hit, but it was a little close for comfort!)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Heres some without the 1.4x tc (Lighting was Bad, but the mud is rare around here so I was still happy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. that first shot is incredible way to go

13. Have some Film Motocross! (Pardon my Scanning method, It makes for crappy scans, (D70 with Sb-600 to backlight))

Iso 50 Velvia on an overcast day! (Boy was I stupid for taking pics in that light)

14.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14_2.jpg

266.jpg

35.jpg

166.jpg

14. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    good stuff, lexiticus!

sorry for the late reply, but last weekends baseball tourney has kept me busy.

gotta ask you about the caterpillar bike. is it a KTM, and is she sponsored by caterpillar?

i'm getting stuff ready for the weekend. heading up to Michigan tomorrow for the Red Bud National. :biggrin: :biggrin:

first turn action from last year;

DSC_7008.jpg

I'm going to do it different this year. not taking the 80-200 2.8. planning on taking just the 300f4. the weather looks to be perfect. I'm really looking forward to the saturday practice sessions since the crowd will be much smaller than sunday's 25,000+ :eek: 

15. Ya the CAT bike is sponsored by CAT, She races and is actually quite decent, So I hear they bought her that KTM new, and she gets new boots and helmets for free. I believe its a 300 XC, 4 stroke, But I forget...

I end up using the 250-280mm a lot for jumps but as soon as I get into corners I find I can't get low enough to the ground with that range, So I need the 112-200mm ish range. So for that reason alone I would recommend taking the 80-200, I suppose it depends on the track but the one I have isn't soo much built above the ground as carved into it.

16. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    thats just it. do to the fences, I can't get as close as I could years ago. I shot some neat shots of the little kids on their 50 and 65cc bikes last night. of course, I can't post them for a few days. :frown:

17. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Great shots! #1 is my favorite........definitely poster material.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.