Teaching Frustration

I taught my students how to put the SD card into the camera, to watch for the flattened corner, and be careful to NOT put the card in backwards.
And what happened the other day . . . one of the students put the card in backwards and PUSHED it in all the way, jamming it in. ARGHHHHHH
Luckily, the teacher managed to get the card out, and the camera seems to be OK.
That could have been an expensive repair trip to Nikon service.

Too bad they got bailed out of the results of their inability to pay attention. Next time, maybe they'll be on their own to solve their own errors.

It is like people reading the camera manual. I don't think many people do that. They learn a bit and feel they know enough to use the camera. Your students listen up to a point but then feel they heard enough and tune you out. Adults do the same.

Although I'm fairly techie in many ways, for some reason cleaning the sensor on my cameras has been something which I've shied away from and so far artfully managed to avoid, although I use the good old rocket blower frequently and try to keep the dust bunnies from accumulating in the first place. The other day when I was at the local camera shop picking up my new Sony A1 I inquired if they do sensor cleaning, and yes, they do, so one of these days after the holiday weekend I'll take the A7R IV in and have them give her a nice cleaning, which she needs after nearly two years of nearly daily usage.

As for the topic at hand here, you would think that someone --even a kid -- would have sense enough to stop trying to force a memory card into a slot when it is clear that the card is resisting. Pushing and forcing the card in anyway is definitely a recipe for damaging both the camera and the card! Sheesh! Well, maybe this kid will have learned from the experience this time but I wouldn't count on it.....

In another class, we had a kinda similar problem with batteries.
They would put in the wrong battery, for another camera, and since it did not fit, they PUSHED it in.
And predictably it got STUCK.
This happened several times. But the last one was the worse. The battery was almost bottomed out, so it could not be grabbed from the outside with a plier. That one was very close to having to go to Canon. Luckily I remember a trick that I learned from someplace.
I got a length of packing tape, cut it to the width of the battery, wiggled it down the side of the battery, then got something to push the tape to stick onto the battery. The tape sticking to the SIDE of the battery was able to hold on to the battery, so I could then pull the tape out, and with it the battery. whew​
After that, we used color codes on the camera and batteries, T7 = orange, T5 = green. But the kids still got the batteries into the wrong camera. sigh

They also don't understand battery alignment.
How come I can't put the battery in the other way?​
Uh, because it won't fit. It is tapered on one side, so that it only fits one way. If you SHOVE it in, it will get STUCK.​
AH, I just thought of a teaching idea. The key to the house can only go into the lock ONE way. They can't put the key in upside down.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I'm sure glad WE didn't make mistakes like that growing up.....!

Now when we have a computer, phone, app or internet problem, we just ask them to be patient as they help us.....................

I'm sure glad WE didn't make mistakes like that growing up.....!

Now when we have a computer, phone, app or internet problem, we just ask them to be patient as they help us.....................

Life was simpler.
We did not have half the number of gadgets that the kids today have. And the stuff we had were a LOT simpler.

If you did not follow instructions, you could load a 120 film backwards, paper side facing the lens, rather than the film.
People would put batteries in their flashlight without regard to polarity, and wonder why it did not work.
And the classic Darwin action, using a match to see if the gas tank is full.

We made different dumb mistakes.

Did you know that in emergency you can safely weld a leaking gas tank to fix the hole, provided the tank is full of gas. It can't explode for obvious reasons...

Yup no air.
My cousin's house burned with his car in the garage. No big burst of flame.
He had just filled the tank that day.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom