Team photo question

Those shooting hockey team and individual player portraits I have a question. If shooting at the rink and on the ice, do you use a background or just used the boards, glass and stands for your background? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

If using a background and that is your suggestion, can you direct me to a place that has them reasonably priced or that rents?

Thanks in advance.

I shoot the team and individual portraits for all but one of the teams at the local university here in Long Beach, CA. I use a dark grey paper background for the portraits simply to ensure a uniform background for each athlete. You should be able to find a roll at a camera shop or online at BH PhotoVideo or Adorama.

I shoot the team and individual portraits for all but one of the teams at the local university here in Long Beach, CA. I use a dark grey paper background for the portraits simply to ensure a uniform background for each athlete. You should be able to find a roll at a camera shop or online at BH PhotoVideo or Adorama.

Hi John. Thank you for the response. You are shooting them in uniform? Also, what do you use for the team photo background? And, do you shoot this on this ice at the rink?

When I was shooting for Youth Sports Photography, the individual shots were done in a locker room with a background. Players were in uniform with their sticks.
The team photos were done on the ice with stands and boards as the background. The photographer would be low on the ice, generally on his/her knees so that most of the background seen in the photos were the boards and glass.

Barry

When I was shooting for Youth Sports Photography, the individual shots were done in a locker room with a background. Players were in uniform with their sticks.
The team photos were done on the ice with stands and boards as the background. The photographer would be low on the ice, generally on his/her knees so that most of the background seen in the photos were the boards and glass.

Barry

Thanks a lot Barry!! Very much appreciated!!

A couple of other items I forgot to mention. If you are shooting on the ice, wear STABILicers Lite Traction Devices on you sneakers/boots. They will keep you from slipping. Also knee pads and a small scatter rug (I get rug samples that are being tossed out at a rug store) or welcome mat to lay the equipment on.

Cheers

Hi Joe, We start out with individual shots in uniform on the grey background for media guide and news use. These are shot full body with various poses as the marketing and promotions group will also create posters and other items.
As for the team photo, we'll shoot these at the various game venues throughout the campus. The backgrounds differ and have ranged from shots at the beach, to the typical shots in front of the goal or scoreboard. For these shots you need to make sure whatever is in the background is not too "busy" to grab attention from the team. We try to keep it simple, depending on the size of the team we'll try to have three levels(sitting, standing, elevated) for the team shot.

We actually have an ice hockey team at the university but it appears they aren't as prominent as the typical NCAA sports on campus. Depending on the size of the team, I would plan it before a practice in full game uniform on the ice with the team filling the sensor, keep it as simple as possible.

Hi John. Thank you for the response. You are shooting them in uniform? Also, what do you use for the team photo background? And, do you shoot this on this ice at the rink?

When doing on the ice shots there isn't enough time to bring out stands and a backdrop, ice time is not cheap. The whole reason you are doing it on the ice is for the setting.

More and more leagues are having us do it off ice which makes us have to be creative if we want a full body shot of the individual and even for the team shots. In the end we have started green screening...

A couple of other items I forgot to mention. If you are shooting on the ice, wear STABILicers Lite Traction Devices on you sneakers/boots. They will keep you from slipping. Also knee pads and a small scatter rug (I get rug samples that are being tossed out at a rug store) or welcome mat to lay the equipment on.

Cheers
Thanx again!!! DEFINITELY noted. I already have knee pads. Gotta get the rug and STABILicers!!

Hi Joe, We start out with individual shots in uniform on the grey background for media guide and news use. These are shot full body with various poses as the marketing and promotions group will also create posters and other items.
As for the team photo, we'll shoot these at the various game venues throughout the campus. The backgrounds differ and have ranged from shots at the beach, to the typical shots in front of the goal or scoreboard. For these shots you need to make sure whatever is in the background is not too "busy" to grab attention from the team. We try to keep it simple, depending on the size of the team we'll try to have three levels(sitting, standing, elevated) for the team shot.

We actually have an ice hockey team at the university but it appears they aren't as prominent as the typical NCAA sports on campus. Depending on the size of the team, I would plan it before a practice in full game uniform on the ice with the team filling the sensor, keep it as simple as possible.
Thank you John for clarifying.

When doing on the ice shots there isn't enough time to bring out stands and a backdrop, ice time is not cheap. The whole reason you are doing it on the ice is for the setting.

More and more leagues are having us do it off ice which makes us have to be creative if we want a full body shot of the individual and even for the team shots. In the end we have started green screening...
Thanks a lot Geoff. We're just getting this started, and what I mean by that is the rink and Director of hockey deciding to do photos. I'm shooting an in house hockey league so I'm guessing ice time won't be a factor. I'll have to get all the particulars from the Director.

So the consensus is that for on ice team photos shoot against the boards/bench or goal, and NO background?

Latest threads

Top Bottom