teaser from the graveyard (update)

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by DrewC, Jul 25, 2007.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i'll give ya 1 image now... and a whole slew later... but this is a neat li'l place i found out about in my town of duluth, minnesota... right under a freeway, and next to a very popular tourist area...

hidden by a creek and a shimmy, and a wall that must be hopped over.
    thats all it takes to find this crazy place... .... ohh, and i have prettier pictures too... but this one will keep you guys checkin'

(updated with better scanned slides) velvia 100

1005062772_0ee7e2cdb2_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  2. Yeesh! Which part of Duluth is this in? The hilly part? Or the other hilly part? :smile:

3. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    ha... the other hilly part...

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Whoa. I liked the color and shoot from the hip quality, and wondered ... "Why did Drew put a Caution icon on it?" I thought maybe there was a bad word written on the wall.

Then I scrolled down. :Exclamati Ya. Nice corpse!

5. Not really my cup of tea so I'll just say that the crop is a little to tight on the side, Sorry.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

not framed very well....

7. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    we'll just say its framed exactly how i wanted it to be...

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

fair enough. Still wish the carcass wasn't lopped off on the right though. Just offering friendly advice. You have an inquisitive eye and that's really all that matters. The rest will come.

9. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    and another one...

1005062810_e515da40a0_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  10. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
  11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I really like the perspective in the top one of your latest crop Drew. And in the second one down, that's a very cool glyph. Can you make out what it says? The colors are fantastic!

12. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    thanks chris, ya the colors there were amazing... i do however think i should go back with something wider than 60mm... dont you think?

in any case... no i cant read that "glyph"... ha...

take care
    -drew

13. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    well... i went back... this is by far my favorite of the bunch...
    the neat thing about it is that i achieved EXACTLY what i wanted... and even though it was a long process for just this one image... it was worth it... (if anybody is curious about the process. i can explain, but just realize, it was almost completely lit by CLS.)

the thing that REALLY caught my attention are the hanged men on each pillar, that was supposed to be the essence of the photograph, but the color overload kinda drowns it out...

1487815948_3fef9f7c54_o.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very cool Drew. How many of them flashy things do you have? The repetition of the figures on the pillars is quite evident, and yeah, the ..ATE ALUM comes across loudly.

15. This is too cool! I really like it! I would say that it was well worth the effort!

16. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    ha, thanks chris... but this time i went with more than just an F4s and a (now stolen:mad:) 60mm 2.8.

i cheated and shot digital (if not already evident). and used 1-sb600... multiple exposures, merged together using the "lighten" blending option... it was a huge experiment and i wasnt even sure that it'd work out, but that just makes it so much better that it did!..

i was hoping to get "strate alum" in the frame, but decided i couldnt prioritize that... and to be honest, if i had prioritized it... then i'd have to include the next layer's "royal vandals" tagged in the same fashion... "strate" is all over this place in various different forms... whoever or whatever it is...

such a sensory overload in this place... thats all i can say 'bout it...

17. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    greg, thanks... i'm glad you like it too!

now shoot me for not remembering her name(EDIT... Cindy Sherman), but theres a female photographer that did an extensive series of self portaits that would on occasion leave references of her process (cable release showing in blankets for example)...

in homage to that... and my whole process i (consciously) decided to leave something that nobody would even think is my roommates shoulders hiding behind the 2nd pillar. who was holding my flash to light the ground... and back wall...

18. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Painting with strobes! Cool!

19. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    thanks spencer... man, i'm bored for a friday night... 'nothin better to do than upload a bunch more pics! ha... again... sorry these are digital, but i started this thread with velvia... :redface:

1492721510_eb63e9165d_o.
    1491867571_d29cad5a4d_o.
    View attachment 107955
    View attachment 107956

20. I agree this is the best of the series. This image can hold your attention for a long time, so much to see and digest. Well done.