Teaser, Warbirds Over the Beach 2011.

The Warbirds Over the Beach 2011 show, that I have been pushing in a another thread, was this past weekend. I came back with about 2,000 images having been there Friday through Sunday. I am nowhere near done, culling and deciding which ones will stay in the album, but here are a few early ones for your amusement.

picture-23.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

picture-36.jpg

picture-42.jpg

4. Can you get any closer?
picture-6.jpg

The star attraction was a Canadian, and yes the road was good. Lancaster built in Hamilton. Shot from the same spot
picture-19.jpg

Got inside it as well, quite roomy in the center part of the body, rather tight when entering from the nose, but there is a sensibly sized door at the back end. Surprised that the bombs are completely underneath the floorboards, the American bombers tended to have the racked up high inside.

One more.
picture-3.jpg

The Lancaster held 22,000 pound bomb load. The B-17 held 8,000. Check out the difference in the length of the doors on each and you will see why the Lancaster holds more. If you don't have the pictures to compare, I'll post them. Actually, they are probably on my FaceBook page already.

Norm, I had the opportunity to look into both as they were both there, doors open. The 22,000 pound load was one single bomb, and they did have to remove the doors for it to fit. Typical load was more like 15,000 pounds.

Feel free to post here if you like, I am not on Facebook.

I had a B-17 pass about 20 feet over me. I was parked on the other side of the fence dead center on the flightline. Prop blast blew my hat off. Very nice photos!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2758023471_87b08a79fa.jpg

Thanks Mark. You did need a chin strap on your hat, the B-17 and Lancaster were both lined up for takeoff just beyond the fence, and there was a good gale blowing when they set the brakes and leaned on the throttles.

You lucky, lucky fellow!
... and thanks for sharing (I can imagine those engine sounds...).

Thanks Bernard. We did feel lucky.

Unfortunately the light was really harsh, but how often do you get to shoot a B-17, PBY Catalina, B-25 and a C-47 Skytrain in a single frame from the hatch of a Lancaster.
picture-29.jpg

This was the first outing for the FW-190
picture-34.jpg

sweet. sweet! SWEET!

Wade, you should have been there, especially on Friday before the crowd controls were put in place.

What I like is seeing those birds exercise on grass :smile:
The grass is really nice when you are upwind, you get the vortices in dust when the plane touches down. The flip side is when you are downwind on the third day at takeoff. Sunday the dust kicked up was a bit much.

Awesome Tom !!! You must get down here for one of local shows with Peter Jacksons WW1 fleet flying!!
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Thanks Geoff. I am hoping 2012 gives me an opportunity for some international travel. Duxford should be a given, not sure I can make it as far as NZ.

Saturday and Sunday the rotation was heavy, they ran sets of three or four planes in the air at a time continuously from noon till 4 PM.
picture-20.jpg

PGB

Awesome!

Nice shot of the Focke Wulf 190. I've followed its restoration on and off.

Thanks for sharing. I'm with Bernard though, the sound must have been amazing!

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Andy.

Awesome!

Nice shot of the Focke Wulf 190. I've followed its restoration on and off.

Thanks for sharing. I'm with Bernard though, the sound must have been amazing!

Patrick, the sound was awesome. After the Lancaster landed, he pulled up front and center set the brakes and let it rip, that was after two low fast passes down the runway. The Canadians may have been a day late, but they were not a dollar short.

The kid that flew in on the C-47 was standing next to me, under the wing of it, and asked if he could try the 200 f2, so I handed him the camera. This is the shot he got. Very slight leveling and a vertical crop, no other adjustments.
picture-47.jpg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Wade, you should have been there, especially on Friday before the crowd controls were put in place.

I really wanted to drive over, as I stated before, but the timing was just bad this year with everything on the home front.

I really wanted to drive over, as I stated before, but the timing was just bad this year with everything on the home front.

I know that feeling all too well, being married to work for too long.

We were lucky with the weather. Tuesday afternoon a strong storm moved in quickly with 60-75 mph winds. I can't even imagine what that would have done to all the planes, not to mention the reenactors' encampments with tents and all sorts of loose bits sitting about, if it had come on Saturday. No tornadoes but enough wind to flip over two tractor trailers on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Skyraider
picture-45.jpg

and a Skytrain
picture-53.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom