tech question about zoom making...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hi all there,

I'm really asking, especially if there's some experienced Leica owner here, if some kind of zoom like the german "tri-elmar" series couldn't be cheaper to produce but also more effective as sharpness and iq. I mean, at the end primes have a better overall behaviour, but zooms have a more versatile use indeed. Instead of "spending" hours and money in designing inner zoom cams and slides for continuous framing, wouldn't be easier setting just some "standard" framing and work on them? At the end, one having, let's say, the 24-28-35-50-70-85 possible frames preset, I don't think he would ever miss the awkward ones (26,38,53...)
    Or is it just a crazy idea? Why don't concentrate on less focal lenghts and care more those?

Have a nice day

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    my prime lenses can zoom too

3. [thread hijack]People say just zoom with your feet but that not only changes how much of the subject you fit in the frame, but also the particular perspective you have once that subject fills your frame. The only way to change both is to change what focal length you are using in addition to where you are standing. As such, zooms are useful for changing not only what is in your frame but from what perspective it is viewed[/thread hijack]

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Priced a tri-elmar lately?