Techie question involving serial port on a Macl-solved

I purchased a serial based Infrared reader to convert TV controllers and the like into commands to use with a slick iPad master controller program. I bought a USB-Serial converter and downloaded the utility to install the USB-Serial driver. Here's the text from the software:

Installer script:
====================
Remove any previous installed driver first.

1. go to terminal
2. cd /system/library/Extensions
3. kextunload ProlificUSBSerial.kext
4. rm -r ProlificUSBSerial.kext
When I try it I get the following error.
You must be running as root to unload kexts, terminate services, or remove driver personalities.
Would someone familiar with EUNIX please help convert this to English?

Thanks, Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mike
You can cause a lot of damage in Terminal if you're not careful, as it can be the sledgehammer solution to problems.

It appears that you are using a "User" account for your normal activities instead of an "Administrator" account. If so, you can type the following command in Terminal to have root privileges. Substitute your admin account name for "admin"

su admin

You will then be prompted for the admin password. The screen will not echo the password, so take your time when entering it. If successful, the next line will be:

bash-3.2$

Now, enter the following line, and then the same password when prompted:

sudo -s

If successful, the next line will be:

bash-3.2#

You are now the root and can enter the commands, but don't use the numbers at the beginning of each line. When you are finished, you must back out of each shell by typing "exit" and hitting return. The first time will take you back to the bash-3.2$ shell, then repeat this to take you to the user shell, then repeat it one last time to terminate the Terminal session.

Success!

:866:

I should explain. I've installed a master conreoler application on my iPad. I can control all my equipment (Integra Receiver, Sanyon Projector, LG Bluray player, HDMI switcher, Apple TV, Panasonic DVD burner and Elgato EyeHD TV) with the iPad. I needed a way of converting each unit's controller infrared signals to text strings for the program (iRule).

Globl Cache' sells a serial IR reader so I needed to get it to work with a Mac. I thought I would have to run the lashup through the PC virtual machine but it turns out GC has both PC and Mac versions of the learning software. Thanks Mike for the behind the scenes help.

Once I get some time I'll post a thorough explanation of how it all works together.

Yesterday I even got a LG Bluray burner to rip Bluray disks so I've loaded those movies on my home theater PC as well.

:biggrin:

Rich

:866:

I should explain. I've installed a master conreoler application on my iPad. I can control all my equipment (Integra Receiver, Sanyon Projector, LG Bluray player, HDMI switcher, Apple TV, Panasonic DVD burner and Elgato EyeHD TV) with the iPad. I needed a way of converting each unit's controller infrared signals to text strings for the program (iRule).

Globl Cache' sells a serial IR reader so I needed to get it to work with a Mac. I thought I would have to run the lashup through the PC virtual machine but it turns out GC has both PC and Mac versions of the learning software. Thanks Mike for the behind the scenes help.

Once I get some time I'll post a thorough explanation of how it all works together.

Yesterday I even got a LG Bluray burner to rip Bluray disks so I've loaded those movies on my home theater PC as well.

:biggrin:

Rich
What are you using to rip the Bluray's? MakeMKV or something else?

MakeMKV. I'm learning how to work with it because I want to use PLEX as a media streamer. iTunes/Apple has too many compromises for my tastes. The limitation of PLEX right now is it can't play HD audio. I have to do some digging to get it all together. I have the iPad running all the equipment through a master program iRule.

Rich

Latest posts

Top Bottom