Technical Advice - Ethernet

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Forgive me in advance, but I am not a techie by any means. I know enough to get by, however... 🙄

Here’s the deal: due to COVID-19, I am now working from home for the foreseeable future. I have Wi-Fi in my house, of course, and my ethernet cord connects from the router to my computer tower (I have a desktop computer). For work purposes, I have a laptop that I have taken from my office. Now, in order to use my work laptop I have to take the ethernet cord from the tower and plug it into the laptop. Then, when I want to use my personal computer, I have to switch the ethernet cord back. I don’t feel like doing this any longer. What I want to do is to simply boot up my personal computer when I am done working without having to switch the cords back-and-forth. I started doing some reading and some research, and from what I am reading, I think an ethernet switch may be the answer??? 🤷🏽‍♀️

My question is am I on the right track? I don’t want my work laptop to “talk” to my desktop under any circumstances. I just don’t want to keep switching the ethernet cord back-and-forth every single day like I’ve been doing for the past 12 weeks. Will an ethernet switch with a second ethernet cord solve my problem? Or do I need some other type of device?

Thanks in advance! 😊

Look on the back of your WiFi router.
Many of them have multiple ethernet jacks, one of which will be connected to your desktop.
Then you just need another cable to connect from the router to your work laptop.

If you do not have a vacant ethernet jack on the router, then you have two choices.
Buy a new router that has multiple jacks, and have the hassle of setting up the new router for WiFi.
Or buy a switch to put between the router and the desktop/laptops.
Switch is a funny name, because there is no physical switch for you to turn/press to switch from one computer to the other. A network switch is a sophisicated hub.​

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ohhh, good gosh!!! 😳. I’ve got to be honest - AT&T set up the router when I got Wi-Fi, and I have not touched it since that day. I didn’t know what was in the back of that thing, LOL! I took a look just now, and yes there are four ports. So all I have to do is to buy a second ethernet cord and I am in business. I cannot believe how easy this was and I’m rather embarrassed. This goes in the same category as, “are you sure you turned on the power switch?” 🤣.

Thank you so much again guys - I really appreciate you! ❤

Ohhh, good gosh!!! 😳. I’ve got to be honest - AT&T set up the router when I got Wi-Fi, and I have not touched it since that day. I didn’t know what was in the back of that thing, LOL! I took a look just now, and yes there are four ports. So all I have to do is to buy a second ethernet cord and I am in business. I cannot believe how easy this was and I’m rather embarrassed. This goes in the same category as, “are you sure you turned on the power switch?” 🤣.

I don't know what's on the front or the back of mine.
But the Café Drinking Team will get into action, just in case . . . 🍷

I've been on cable for many years and on wireless within that system for a lot of years as well. After the initial setup, the first time something went "blooey" I decided to in future simply set up my own modem and router and have been doing that ever since -- I own both of the devices as opposed to leasing them from the cable company. My setup is uncomplicated, no work computer to deal with, just my own personal machines. Last spring I had to replace the modem when it went bad; I am acutely aware that the days are numbered for my router now, too, as I've had this particular one since around 2016 or so. I've been looking at what's available out there now for replacing the router when that day finally does come, and am considering a mesh system. I'm hoping that my router will last me at least a few more months, anyway, before I actually do have to bite the bullet and make the change.

I'm still on my Apple Airport Express.
Mine is the Apple AirPort Extreme, last model, and I so, so wish that Apple hadn't discontinued it! Some years ago I had an earlier AEBS and used that with an Airport Express -- the AEBS at that time wasn't powerful enough to reach from my bedroom out to my deck, so I plugged in an Airport Express in the living room, created a "bridge," and that worked nicely to give me the WiFi I wanted out on my deck as well. The problem is that there is a fireplace and a plumbing stack behind the walls, not to mention a closet with the washer and dryer, between my bedroom, where the original cabling was set up, and the living room, which is where I actually spend most of my time. When the time came to install the current AEBS, I just got an extra-long patch cable and it is plugged into the modem in the bedroom on one end while also plugged into the AEBS which is positioned out here in the living room. Great wireless all over the place now! Next time, I will probably get rid of the long cable and go with a mesh system like Ubiquiti or one of those and have the main device near the modem in the bedroom and the secondary device plugged into a wall socket out here in the living room.

Ahhh, Lyndee - good to "see" you, especially when you've found terrific answers from the best site and people on the web! Good onya, I say. Yep ethernet cables can work and, as others have mentioned: why not connect your work laptop to your wi-fi network?

Your pal,

E

Just like Connie I'm still using an AirPort Extreme plugged into my modem, and just like Nick I have two AirPort Express units that boost coverage and deliver music throughout my place. They are still going strong after lo, these many years . . .

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You do not need an extra cable ...Why don't you use Wifi for your laptop ?
Ahhh, Lyndee - good to "see" you, especially when you've found terrific answers from the best site and people on the web! Good onya, I say. Yep ethernet cables can work and, as others have mentioned: why not connect your work laptop to your wi-fi network?

Your pal,

E
Welllll...

For one, I didn’t know until just now that I could do that, and, for two, how do I do that? If I had to hazard a guess, would I go into the network connection settings on the laptop and put in my Wi-Fi password?

Hi Eric!!! 😁😁😁

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom