Technical Advice - Ethernet

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some employers have specific restrictions on the setup and usage of their laptops provided to employees. Security can be an issue for users of WiFi and so using an ethernet cable helps avoid that sort of problem.
Ahhh! I have a LOT of employee data on my laptop, so I think I’d better stay away from wi-fi. It would be easier, however, because then I’d be able to use the laptop in other rooms in my house, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Thanks, Connie!! 😊

Welllll...

For one, I didn’t know until just now that I could do that, and, for two, how do I do that? If I had to hazard a guess, would I go into the network connection settings on the laptop and put in my Wi-Fi password?

Hi Eric!!! 😁😁😁
Usually the Wi-fi Station ID you need to connect to and its password are written at the back or underneath the router. There may also be a second password which would be the one needed to log in the router.
You do not need to use that one.
Here BT used to give you a credit card size reminder.
The process has become very simple nowadays.

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lyndee, you've never connected your laptop to a wifi network?
No, or at least I don't believe I have. When I brought my work laptop home, I plugged in the ethernet cord from my personal tower and turned the thing on. I have a security 'token' that I use so that I can access my organization's network and off I go.

I have a personal laptop that I very rarely use (in fact, I only use it when I travel), so I know I've not connected it to a wifi network while at home.

For the times my power has gone out and the router lights stop blinking, it starts right back up when the power is restored. There is a button on the front of the router that I can press if the lights start blinking in a weird way, but it's been ages since I've done that.

I think I need to take Computer and Internet Technology 101... :confused:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You will be pleasantly surprised.
It is a lot more user friendly than in the past.
I really do need to learn more. In the past I've gone into 'Information Overload Mode' when someone has advised me on technical matters. I know enough to get by and had I thought to look at the back of the router, I could have answered by own question. I got caught up, though, and thought it was more complex than it was... :confused:

My provider, Comcast XFinity, provides a smart phone app for managing the modem/router. Unfortunately I have to pay them rent for this router since my "landline" is VOIP service through them and makes use of features of this modem.

My provider, Comcast XFinity, provides a smart phone app for managing the modem/router. Unfortunately I have to pay them rent for this router since my "landline" is VOIP service through them and makes use of features of this modem.
I gave up owning my wifi router years ago. We get a lightning strike 1-2 times per year that always fries the modem. I got tired of buying new ones and now just get a replacement as part of my rental agreement when mine gets fried.

I gave up owning my wifi router years ago. We get a lightning strike 1-2 times per year that always fries the modem. I got tired of buying new ones and now just get a replacement as part of my rental agreement when mine gets fried.
In nearly 33 years in this house we've never had any lightning damage. And we are located at 2650 feet just below the top of a ridge at 2800 feet in a heavily wooded area adjoining National Forest. Just lucky, I guess.

Just like Connie I'm still using an AirPort Extreme plugged into my modem, and just like Nick I have two AirPort Express units that boost coverage and deliver music throughout my place. They are still going strong after lo, these many years . . .
I'm still using the latest model Airport Extreme Base Station. Given that Apple has discontinued this, are they still providing security updates? I don't recall any in recent years unless it was part of an OS update.

I would never purchase my own equipment when I have the opportunity to rent it from my cable provider. That's because my cable provider is awful even when it's absolutely clear that whatever going wrong is their responsibility. When they have even the smallest chance to point the fingers toward another provider, they know how to do that really well. It's just not worth the time, effort or cost of buying my own equipment knowing that doing so will give them the opportunity to blame others rather than solve my problem.

Last edited:
In nearly 33 years in this house we've never had any lightning damage. And we are located at 2650 feet just below the top of a ridge at 2800 feet in a heavily wooded area adjoining National Forest. Just lucky, I guess.
I live in the lightning capital of the Northern hemisphere. We have whole house surge protection for electrical appliances, but any cable connected device is extremely vulnerable. Usually the modem or the cable box takes the hit and gets fried which protects the computer or TV downstream. A bad strike we had last year made it through my cable box and fried my fairly new 55 inch TV. :(

The higher you are the luckiest you are :ROFLMAO: . Never had problem with lightning strike neither :) ( I live at 3000 feet )

OFF TOPIC
Considering that lightning strikes are being discussed, when Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod, he designed the tip of the rod to be a pointed end believing that a point would attract lightning more effectively than a blunt end. During the Revolutionary War, Britain installed a lightning rod with a blunt tip on a building storing munitions. Much to Franklin's satisfaction on several levels, the lightning rod didn't attract the lightning but the building did. KABOOM!

I'm still using the latest model Airport Extreme Base Station. Given that Apple has discontinued this, are they still providing security updates? I don't recall any in recent years unless it was part of an OS update.
Seems to me not too long ago there was some kind of Airport update..... One day the amber light started flashing on the AEBS and yet the computer was online without any problems.....I finally remembered to go have a look at Airport Utility to see if that was trying to tell me that there was an update, and lo and behold, there it was! Did the update and the amber blinking light stopped, the familiar green came back on.....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom