Technical Advice - Ethernet

The higher you are the luckiest you are :ROFLMAO: . Never had problem with lightning strike neither :) ( I live at 3000 feet )
We had some work done last year updating our ancient electrical panel. In the process of getting us into the 21st century our electrician discovered the house was not grounded. We are now, but lighting is rare here.

I lost plenty of equipment due to lighting strikes in the past, modems, TV, VCR, old tech.

Ohhh, good gosh!!! ?. I’ve got to be honest - AT&T set up the router when I got Wi-Fi, and I have not touched it since that day. I didn’t know what was in the back of that thing, LOL! I took a look just now, and yes there are four ports. So all I have to do is to buy a second ethernet cord and I am in business. I cannot believe how easy this was and I’m rather embarrassed. This goes in the same category as, “are you sure you turned on the power switch?” ?.

Thank you so much again guys - I really appreciate you! ❤

Actually, I would not expect you to know that.
The world is getting more and more technical, and harder and harder for us to keep up with.

I had to have one of my students teach me how use an app on my phone.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Actually, I would not expect you to know that.
The world is getting more and more technical, and harder and harder for us to keep up with.

I had to have one of my students teach me how use an app on my phone.
Awww...you are too sweet - thank you!

And you're right; things have gotten a lot more technical. I was speaking with my neighbor the other day and we were reminiscing about how, back in the day, we could work on our own vehicles. I remember checking the oil and other things on my last car. Now, I dare not open the hood on the car I currently own. :eek:

A lot of the technology has moved from mechanical to electronics to on board software to virtualisation and the cloud.
In essence it means that it is beyond most of us.
And designed not to be fixable by the user.
My IP provider in Spain (fiber optic) locks the router and remotely controls it.
They were kind enough to unlock it for me but still.

I'm still using the latest model Airport Extreme Base Station. Given that Apple has discontinued this, are they still providing security updates? I don't recall any in recent years unless it was part of an OS update.

Seems to me not too long ago there was some kind of Airport update..... One day the amber light started flashing on the AEBS and yet the computer was online without any problems.....I finally remembered to go have a look at Airport Utility to see if that was trying to tell me that there was an update, and lo and behold, there it was! Did the update and the amber blinking light stopped, the familiar green came back on.....

Connie (who is the Café's "Goddess of All Things Apple" ;)) beat me to the reply but yes - Apple has been offering Firmware Updates for both the Airport Extreme and Airport Express. I hope that they continue to do so!

Awww...you are too sweet - thank you!

And you're right; things have gotten a lot more technical. I was speaking with my neighbor the other day and we were reminiscing about how, back in the day, we could work on our own vehicles. I remember checking the oil and other things on my last car. Now, I dare not open the hood on the car I currently own. :eek:

That app was the phone's camera.
I NEVER used the phone camera.
And she looked at me like "are you kidding?"

Oh you can still change the oil, and fill the windshield washer tank, but that is about it.
Gone are the days of tinkering with the engine, as I used to do it, mechanically. Now you need a computer to talk to the car's computer.

Now, I dare not open the hood on the car I currently own. :eek:

Hood? What's a hood? ;)

The other day I went to a park with my daughter and when we got out of the car we couldn't open the trunk where I had put my camera. Tried banging on it to no avail. Tried calling the dealer's service department in case it was something simple but they were closed for the day. Finally it dawned on us - we had locked the glove compartment with the key that separates from the key fob and that puts the car in valet parking mode so the trunk doesn't open with the fob. Oh for simpler bygone days.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hood? What's a hood? ;)

The other day I went to a park with my daughter and when we got out of the car we couldn't open the trunk where I had put my camera. Tried banging on it to no avail. Tried calling the dealer's service department in case it was something simple but they were closed for the day. Finally it dawned on us - we had locked the glove compartment with the key that separates from the key fob and that puts the car in valet parking mode so the trunk doesn't open with the fob. Oh for simpler bygone days.
I know exactly what you mean.

in my generation within my family, there were 13 boys and only four girls (siblings and cousins combined). I was the youngest girl. As a result, I was always deemed as being “underfoot“, when it came to household matters such as cooking and such, and I was always told to go outside and play with the boys. The boys, with the exception of my younger brother, were all older, as well, and were car enthusiasts, so that by time I was seven or eight years old, I knew more about cars than anything else. They taught me how to change a tire, and even though I did not have the manual dexterity to do it myself, I could tell you what to do. I also knew what to do in order to check oil levels, or to add water to the reservoir, and I could certainly point to a part under the hood and tell you what it was and what it did.

As an adult, I could easily open a car door if it was was locked, or change a burned out headlight as well as a few other things, but no more. Nowadays? I’m in trouble if I lose my keys because of the key fob, which costs a fortune to replace. And, replacing a headlight now requires a PhD and specialized tools!

Don’t get me wrong, I do love the new technology that comes with late-model vehicles, but there are times when I do wish for those older cars - the 1977 Buick Electra 225, in particular and the 1965 Mustang. Ohhh, and the 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible...be still, my heart! ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom