1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Techniques for shooting night games, with flash?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Pianisimo, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I'm shooting an under-the-lights football game this friday and hopefully you guys can help me. My sports lens is the 55-200 VR...laugh all you want :tongue: but I doubt that I'll be able to get any kind of decent results with it without a flash. For that, I have an SB-600 (again, go ahead and laugh). The only good piece of equipment I have is the D50, which has a flash sync speed up to 1/500 second which I hope to be using at full speed the whole time. But, I can't just set it to shutter priority and click away with the SB-600, can I? I'm not sure how I should handle this situation. I'll be using the flash on camera (maybe using it off camera with the D80 I also use would be interesting...BUT the D80's synch speed is only 1/200th or 250th). Any help?

2. My best guess would be to use Shutter pri. and keep it at least at 1/300th, and addjust your flash and ISO from there. In Shutter Pri the D50 will bottom out your Aperture for you and give you the most light for that lens. Adjust the Flash Exposure on the SB-600 to +3.0 for center of the field shots and +1.7 for your side of the field shots with about ISO 400. The problem will be if they come down your sideline the flash will be pretty bright then.

I hope this help or someone else can give a better method.

And try to anticipate when they are coming your way, this will give you a chance to bump down the Flash Exposure to not blow it out.

Jason

3. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Thanks guys.

I'm well aware that I'm going to struggle with the kit, but unfortunately my dad is pretty much against me buying anything at all for it so it's the best I can do. The D50 is excelent at 1600 (doesn't go to 3200), better than the D200/D80/D60/D40X sensor and probably better than any Nikon before the D3/300, although perhaps not the D2X/s.

So I should boost the flash up all the way? I'm probably going to hold off on anyone too close to me, I'll grab the D80 with the 50 1.8 for closer shots.

I'm hoping the stadium lighting is super bright but I have no idea. I hope I'll pull off a few. Thanks guys!

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I would do what it takes to get the flash off the camera, or you'll be fixing red eye until the cows come home.

The D80 has commander mode, I would hold the flash off to one side and go with that. you won't get 1/500. You be at 5.6 ISO 1600 and probably 1/200, and still have to push some in post.

5. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

You think that using it off camera would be that much better, to sacrifice the 1/500th of the D50? I hate pointing the flash straight but I'm willing to go for it...

I think I'll bring both bodies and try both ways. About how far can CLS work, 30 feet?

6. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    zoomed to 85mm your sb600 is rated at Guide number 131. that means at ISO 800 you'll be able to shoot 60 feet (20 yards) at f/5.6 (in dark)

On top of that, be careful you can melt your flash if you fire it continously

7. You get less red eye the farther your flash is from the center of your lens. That is why little compact cameras have terrible redeye.

A guy on another forum had a great setup for football. He was using a monopod with an extender cable for the hot shoe. He mounted the SB600 about 18-24 inches below the camera on the monopod, and shot with that and had great results. You could do simular with the D80 and the SB600 in remote mode.

Jason

8. I have the exact same equipment but was using a Sigma 70-300 APO f4-5.6 until this season when I started using an 80-200 F2.8 Nikkor.
    Even with that lens and a little bit of PP, I still got shots good enough for our local rag and the Year book at the High School.

TestFB11-02-015.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This year I started using my 80-200 F2.8 with my D50 and SB600. These are at either 1/250th or 1/320th, shooting S priority. Flash at TTL with -2.00 EV @1600 ISO
    Since this was the first time using this new lens, my next attempt with be at 800 ISO and a -1.00 EV on the SB600

View attachment 253729

View attachment 253730

I do stabilized my setup on a monopod and have the flash off camera on 3 foot cord with bracket. You should have no problems with the SB600, more than powerful enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008

9. That's what I do. Acena on this forum does it that way.

10. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

11. Man, I would sure hate to get smacked by a lineman coming off the field, with all that equipment. :biggrin:

Tim, did you ever live in Orlando? Name is familier. Of course I am sure there are a ton of Tim Kellys

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    No, but I've visited there a few times! I work for IBM and worldwide there are a boatload of Tim Kellys!

I'm pretty sure I can get out of the way, I'm pretty wary when the play comes my way (I have an artificial hip so I play it pretty safe)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.