Technology Overload

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike17112, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

I've decided to bite the bullet and get Photoshop CS2. Heres my first attempt with a Dark-eyed Junco. Any pointers much appreciated. Is it too big?

D70s, Sigma 50-500, SB-800, SB-600. 370mm 1/400th F/6.3

[​IMG]

Mike

2. mike,this is one of my most favored birds! you have exposed it perfectly, and no, it is not too big. very sharp, excellent work!
    Dave

3. btw, CS2 is an awesome work engine when coupled with bridge and ACR. go man go.
    Dave

4. Mike, on my calibrated monitor the bird expsoure looks really good, and the image is very sharp.

A couple of suggestions. First, if you have more room to the left of the bird, I would leave more of that in and try to crop or clone out the Ivy leaves to the right. Generally it is better to have more room in front of the subject than behind, but general rules can be broken. Second, songbirds, perching birds, sparrows, etc. generally look best and most natural when on a branch perch. If this is around your feeder or house, try to setup some natural loking perches that you can focus on and catch them perched on. This bird image on a nice perch would be killer. The background is very nice.

Another thing I would do is clone out the second highlight in the eye from the flash.

And CS2 is GREAT :smile:

Cheers
    Tim

5. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

On my 1280 x 1024 display, it's perfect. I know that there are still those out there that are viewing in 1024 x 768, that will have to scroll to see the entire image, but to me, it is very hard not to post images in the best possible presentation. For those of us that are lucky enough to be at the higher resolution, that's about 900 - 1000 pixels wide.

Very nice image BTW. :wink:

7. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I have been using Elements up to now but there is so much more in CS, luckily the basics are the same or similar. When I get to grips with some of the features you recommend I will re-visit the shot and repost it.

Many thanks,

Mike

8. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

Heres a White-throated Sparrow from the same batch of photographs with less cropping.

D70s Sigma 50-500 @420mm 1/500th F/10 SB-800 SB-600

[​IMG]

9. Mike, very nice, but be wary, CS2 will just suck you in and never let you go, it is worse than a Black Hole :eek:

On the Junco, I want to second Tim's comments. Every time I look at that image my eye is drawn to the birds head and then just falls off the left edge. On the Sparrow image the bird is too centered, i'd crop out the right edge almost to the tail and balance that with a bit more on the left. I'd personally crop up the bottom a tad, I like the way the holly in the upper left frames the image. Also, the sparrow looks "oversharp" to my taste, almost but not quite a "halo" effect on the top of the head. Then again, that could just be me as well.

Overall, looks really good PP wise, not that I know anything anyway......:wink:

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice photos... Good job in CS2 also

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike -

Between your camera work and and PS work, you did a great job on exposure and sharpness of the bird. And the background is wonderful. But IMHO there are two serious problems with the shot which I'm guessing came out of the camera rather than your PS work. I find the leaf on the right terribly distracting. And that is where the bird should be so it is looking into the picture. Hope these are helpful hints for the future.

Gordon

12. Hey Mike, I hope you don't mind that I did this with your photo. :smile: It is just meant to be a quick sample of what could be done to improve your Dark-eyed Junco image in CS2. This took me about 2 minutes, so with more time you could do a much better job. I added 150 pixels width to the left edge of the canvas and cropped and cloned out the leaf on the right. I also cloned the background to the left. This provides a nicer balance to the image by having more room to the left of the bird in the direction it is facing.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Cheers
    Tim

[​IMG]

13. Mike...this is a fantastic sharp and good contrast shot. Keep up the good work and also welcome to the forum.

14. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

Tim, thats a fantastic job, a vast improvement. Thank you very, very much. I've only been here three days and I've learned so much from you guys.

Many thanks to you all, theres hope for me yet.:biggrin:

Mike

15. Very nice detail and exposure I woudl change the crop and give some more space in the direction the bird is looking.

16. Thanks Mike. I am always fearful that someone might take exception to one of their images being modified, even if it is just to demonstrate something. You know "a picture is worth a 100 words". :biggrin:

I am by no means what I would call an expert with CS2, but feel free to email me anytime if you want to discuss any CS2 process like this.

Cheers
    Tim

17. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I will have need very soon. I stopped off at Borders Books on the way home and picked out an suitable Idiots Guide to CS2. I'll see how I get on with that for a start so I dont start asking totally basic questions.

Thanks again

Mike

18. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

How did I do? I played with things here there and everywhere I have no idea what I did. Must read the book, must read the book.
    [​IMG]

19. You did a great job! My only suggestion would be to allow just a bit more room behind the tail. May be a bit tight of a crop there. Looks like you got it down man. :smile:

Tim

20. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

I've been a member of Nikon Cafe for all of 4 days and have learned so much. Lessons I have learned.

Expose to the right.
    Have the bird looking into the picture.
    Clone out superfluous objects.
    Photoshop CS is horrendously powerful.
    How to make a PS action for a signature. Nice one Flew.
    The members of Nikon Cafe are an extremely talented, friendly bunch of people.
    Loads more stuff that I have to revisit.

Thanks people you're great.