Teleconverter for AF and AF-S lenses?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tfenne, Jun 28, 2008.

1. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Hi All,

I've been trying to research this myself, but have not had much luck so I'm hoping someone here can answer my question.

Is there a good quality 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter that will work with, and retain AF with, both screw-driven lenses and newer AF-S lenses? I'd quite like to try a TC with both my AF 180mm and my AF-S 105VR, but don't want to end up buying two separate units. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

2. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    This should help:
    http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/Nikonians Teleconverter Table.pdf

3. Kenko Pro can AF with both AFS and screw-driven lenses. But they don't have a 1.7X converter.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I wrote the following before I got a chance to read the other posts, if I were you I'd listen to them. They seem far more knowledgeable!

I don't think such a thing exsists

As far as I'm aware Nikon TCs only exsist for the more modern AFS and AFI lenses. Nikon never made TCs for traditional screw AF lenses and therefore you have to resort to third party choices such as Kenko.

It looks like the solution to your problem is unfortunatly the purchase of two seperate units.

I suppose you could get a Kenko TC for the 180/2.8 and then use MF with your 105VR, for serious macro work AF isn't any use anyway. The AFS/AFI TCs cannot be used on any other lenses because they're mechanically 'keyed'.

5. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    This is correct a Kenco pro 300G will work with both AF-S and D (screw type) lenses, Quite nicely at that.:cool: 

6. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Awesome! Thanks everyone for the swift replies. Seems like a Kenko Pro TC will be making it's way on to my shopping list very soon. Thanks again!

7. zakk9

zakk9

May 5, 2005
    Bangkok
    The Tamron TC will do the same as the Kenko (some say it's the same TC), but be sure to get the "Pro" version (red box).

8. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Good to know. Thanks.

9. Wow! Good to know. I just posted a question about TC's in the Lens Lust forum. I do think I will be adding a Kenko 1.4 to my bag, as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.