Teleconverter for AF and AF-S lenses?

Hi All,

I've been trying to research this myself, but have not had much luck so I'm hoping someone here can answer my question.

Is there a good quality 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter that will work with, and retain AF with, both screw-driven lenses and newer AF-S lenses? I'd quite like to try a TC with both my AF 180mm and my AF-S 105VR, but don't want to end up buying two separate units. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Hi All,

I've been trying to research this myself, but have not had much luck so I'm hoping someone here can answer my question.

Is there a good quality 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter that will work with, and retain AF with, both screw-driven lenses and newer AF-S lenses? I'd quite like to try a TC with both my AF 180mm and my AF-S 105VR, but don't want to end up buying two separate units. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

This should help:
http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/Nikonians Teleconverter Table.pdf

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Kenko Pro can AF with both AFS and screw-driven lenses. But they don't have a 1.7X converter.

I wrote the following before I got a chance to read the other posts, if I were you I'd listen to them. They seem far more knowledgeable!

I don't think such a thing exsists

As far as I'm aware Nikon TCs only exsist for the more modern AFS and AFI lenses. Nikon never made TCs for traditional screw AF lenses and therefore you have to resort to third party choices such as Kenko.

It looks like the solution to your problem is unfortunatly the purchase of two seperate units.

I suppose you could get a Kenko TC for the 180/2.8 and then use MF with your 105VR, for serious macro work AF isn't any use anyway. The AFS/AFI TCs cannot be used on any other lenses because they're mechanically 'keyed'.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the swift replies. Seems like a Kenko Pro TC will be making it's way on to my shopping list very soon. Thanks again!

The Tamron TC will do the same as the Kenko (some say it's the same TC), but be sure to get the "Pro" version (red box).

Wow! Good to know. I just posted a question about TC's in the Lens Lust forum. I do think I will be adding a Kenko 1.4 to my bag, as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom