Teleconverter Question

I am looking to purchase a 1.4 teleconverter and was wondering what the difference is between the Nikon TC-14E II ($470) and the Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG ($200) besides the price?

dang, and i was ready with $270

I dont think there is a great deal of difference

I have a Kenko 1.4

There is a reason not to overpay. The Kenko works with zoom and vr and keeps them intact. The Nikon, if you read the specs, don't work with lenses like the 18-200 vr.

The Kenko can be used with the 18-200? How is it that it can and Nikon can't? If I understand it correctly, it would give me about 280 out of my 18-200?

The Kenko can be used with the 18-200? How is it that it can and Nikon can't? If I understand it correctly, it would give me about 280 out of my 18-200?
yeah it would give you about 280...for just a few dollars more you could have a sharp Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270 and no extra coupling or device to cause less image quality..................

not sure if this is true with Nikon but some lens makers make TC's to only work with certainlenses in their line.....Sigma's EX TC will only work with a few of their many lenses and those are the more top line Pro lenses.......I think this has to do with Image degradation more than anything else.....A TC degrades the image a bit, especially around the corners and edges......so on the less expensive non-pro lenses that are not of the most fantastic quality to begin with then you add a TC and the softness becomes way more apparent.........

jmho........

Art,

I may be way off on this, but I thought the reason/problem was the clearance or lack of it between the rear element of the lens and the front element of the TC.

Maybe there is more clearance on the Kenko??

Jim

I bought the kenko 1.4 and use it with my Nikkor 70-200 2.8, but it gives me problems. I have really used it most at the same event, the Rolex Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca (August 2008 and 2009). I had it mounted on my D300 to really get some reach. Both times I have used it for extended periods it would start to give me troubles later in the day. It seems like there is too much play in the connections and it gives me an F 0 reading and I I don't catch it before taking a shot I get black frames. I made sure the connections were clean on all mounts. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom