1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Teleconverter Question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Plumbergeek, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Plumbergeek

Plumbergeek

Sep 1, 2008
    SW Georgia
    I am looking to purchase a 1.4 teleconverter and was wondering what the difference is between the Nikon TC-14E II ($470) and the Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DG ($200) besides the price?

2. dwind

dwind Guest

Kenko works good. I've both the 1.4 and 2.0.

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    dang, and i was ready with $270

I dont think there is a great deal of difference

I have a Kenko 1.4

4. Plumbergeek

Plumbergeek

Sep 1, 2008
    SW Georgia
    Works good with the AF on your lens?

5. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Yip - on the 70-200 and the 400 I have

6. I just bought the kenko 1.4 from Lisa here on the forums and it works great on my 70-200.

Sharp and Fast AF

7. Plumbergeek

Plumbergeek

Sep 1, 2008
    SW Georgia
    Thanks Guys! No reason to overpay then.

8. brooksro

brooksro

Dec 29, 2007
    USA, California
    There is a reason not to overpay. The Kenko works with zoom and vr and keeps them intact. The Nikon, if you read the specs, don't work with lenses like the 18-200 vr.

9. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    The Kenko can be used with the 18-200? How is it that it can and Nikon can't? If I understand it correctly, it would give me about 280 out of my 18-200?

10. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    yeah it would give you about 280...for just a few dollars more you could have a sharp Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270 and no extra coupling or device to cause less image quality..................

not sure if this is true with Nikon but some lens makers make TC's to only work with certainlenses in their line.....Sigma's EX TC will only work with a few of their many lenses and those are the more top line Pro lenses.......I think this has to do with Image degradation more than anything else.....A TC degrades the image a bit, especially around the corners and edges......so on the less expensive non-pro lenses that are not of the most fantastic quality to begin with then you add a TC and the softness becomes way more apparent.........

jmho........

11. Plumbergeek

Plumbergeek

Sep 1, 2008
    SW Georgia
    Ordered the Kenko Pro 1.4 today from HKSupplies in Hong Kong for $149.00 :smile:

12. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Art,

I may be way off on this, but I thought the reason/problem was the clearance or lack of it between the rear element of the lens and the front element of the TC.

Maybe there is more clearance on the Kenko??

Jim

13. I bought the kenko 1.4 and use it with my Nikkor 70-200 2.8, but it gives me problems. I have really used it most at the same event, the Rolex Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca (August 2008 and 2009). I had it mounted on my D300 to really get some reach. Both times I have used it for extended periods it would start to give me troubles later in the day. It seems like there is too much play in the connections and it gives me an F 0 reading and I I don't catch it before taking a shot I get black frames. I made sure the connections were clean on all mounts. Any ideas?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.