Teleconverter Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by eng45ine, May 13, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Is anyone shooting with a D2H and using a Nikkor ED 300mm f2.8 AF lens these days? I am and I am interested in purchasing a 1.4 teleconverter but I am not sure which TC is compatable with this set-up. I e-mailed the "techies" at Nikon and all they did was refer me to a link which was corrupt or removed because it would not open when I clicked it. So, can anyone offer some practical information to my question...I would appreciate some insight. I am not against a product from Kenco, but I truly do prefer Nikon.

Thanks so much for whatever help you can offer.

2. I don't have your answer, Frank, but I'll bump your inquiry to the top of the list.

Kenko doesn't make a 1.7X TC, so it will definitely be a Nikon. I just don't know the mode number.

3. I personally shoot with that lens and couple it with the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14EII. I like the 1.4 TC because it is the sharpest of the converters and you don't lose that much light when using it.

4. have to agree with Gordon here, you wont go wrong!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to offer an opinion regarding my TC question. I am flexible with either the 1.4 or 1.7 but I have heard that using the wrong type TC can damage the camera and/or the lens...a situation I would rather avoid. I guess then I will contact Nikon by telephone and make certain which TC to buy but if the TC-14EII is safe, that is fine with me.

Great website...great people

6. the nikon TC-14EII or TC-14e is compatible for all afi - af-s lenses so your good to go.......

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Keith...I guess I was overly concerned about "jazzing" up my equipment with the wrong TC. I appreciate the help very much.

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Would some patient soul please advise me about converters. I am in the long queue for a 70-200, delivery is slower than slow, but when it arrives I'd like to couple it with one of the 3 converters presently on offer.
    As I understand things, the TC 20 reduces aperture by 2 steps. So presumeably it will be between the 1.4 and the 1.7 .

Second question, will the converter work with the 18-70 kit lens? (Just for something to do while I'm waiting) :redface:

Thanks in anticipation.

9. Rob,

Personally, I would stick with the TC-14EII in conjunction with the 70-200mm. I have not used the TC-17, but it could only be worse than the TC-14, and I find that it slows up the focussing sufficiently for me not to want anything worse. What I am saying is that I find the TC-14EII fine, but do notice a little slowing up of the focussing. With even less light, this situation could only worsen. However, many people use it (the TC-17) with good results, so take your pick.

Neither of these converters will work with the 18-70. The front element of the converter and the rear element of the lens would clash, with dire results!

10. The TC-e type teleconverters won't mate to the AF-D lenses such as the standard AF 300/2.8 -- it has to be the AF-I or AF-S type. There is an option... you can have a tab on the teleconverter's mounting plate machined off so the converter will mate. This will allow it to function on the AF-D model.

re: the 70-200VR, the TC-14e converter (or the TC-14e-II) is the perfect match for that lens. It will work with the TC-17e, but contrast and sharpness is reduced a bit (stop down to improve this).

Ron

11. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Thank you Steve, much appreciated.