1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Teleconverter selection: Nikon or Kenko 1.4x

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Wileec, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I'm trying to decide between the Nikon 1.4x and the Kenko 1.4x. I'm able to find solid reviews on both, but I'm hoping someone(s) has/have had the opportunity to compare them. The Nikon, as usual, is nearly twice the money, but if there really is a difference, this is a long term investment and I'll do what I need to.

In the short term would use it with my 80-200mm f/2.8, though intend to sell that to get the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR version. Long term I'm hoping to get the 400mm f/2.8 VR and would use the TC with that as well. I might try to use it with my 200-500mm, but that would have to be real good light. I usually shoot that lens are f/8 and in decent light the AF is reasonable quick; would like have to shoot it wide open, or go with a higher ISO - but less of a concern with this lens.

My impression is that the Kenko will work with more lenses than will the Nikon, but the Nikon reviews tend to be a dash more glowing than those for the Kenko.

2. I've owned and used them both. I was never happy with the Kenko, but kept it as it allowed me to use a tc with my older non AF-S lenses.

Now I don't own any non AF-S lenses, I sold the Kenko and kept the Nikon.

Note this is only my own opinion - I know many people who are perfectly happy with the quality of the Kenko, I just never found I was able to get the sharpness I wanted with the Kenko when compared to the Nikon teleconverter.

Remember if you have the 80-200 non AF-S model, you will have to go with the Kenko, as the Nikon tc-14e only works with AF-S lenses.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Which 80-200/2.8 are you using?

Remember that the modern Nikon TCs only work on AFS lenses and even then they're mechcanically keyed to only work on certain models.

4. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I currently own the AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 D lens and I'm not certain the current Nikon will work with it, or not.

I am hoping to get the AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED sometime in the next few months and sell the one I currently have and I know the current Nikon TC will work with that lens.

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    No, the current Nikon will be physically unable to mount onto the lens. It can be modified, but even then it won't have autofocus and may damage the lens.

As you said the 70-200vr would work fine.

Maybe the Kenko is a better idea for now and then when the 70-200vr is purchased you can upgrade to the Nikon.

6. Wileec

Wileec Guest

If there was a quality issue - I would get the Nikon - even if my current lens wouldn't work with it. That's less of a concern to me. I will buy one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.