Teleconverter - US or imported ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Jun 1, 2005.

1. I know that personally I would prefer US lens vs. imported but does it really matter when it comes to Teleconverters ?

I'm itching for TC-17E II

2. Hi Jay,

I tend to agree with you.

For something more complex/expensive like a 70-200vr, I would want it to be a US lens so that Nikon could work on it if anything goes wrong.

For simpler things like a TC, I see no reason why Keh or some other reputable non-Nikon repair shop couldn't handle a problem.

I bought my TC-14EII last year from a Hong Kong seller. It works great with my 70-200vr, but I sometimes wish it could get me longer. At that time, the TC-17 was newly-released and I didn't want to take any chances with image quality. Everything I've read since then suggests that the TC-17 nicely balances image quality and focal length extension.

Go for it!

Glenn

3. I perceive the price disparity nothing more than insurance.
    Many lenses that are "gray" are USA lenses in USA boxes...most recently my B&H 3004f gray.
    I'd not buy a body non-US because of prohobitive repair costs.
    My Nikon authorized repair has no hesitance to repair gray marked stuff privided, of course, I pay their usual charges.
    1.7 TC, 105 micro, 30f4 gray.
    D2X, 70-200 etc, USA.

My .02

4. I just bought the gray 1.7 from Adorama. The quality is fine. It is an acceptable risk in this situation. I recently shot for a day at Niagara Falls using the 70-200VR with the 1.7 TC. I'll post some shots with the TC shortly.

Rich

5. Thanks all. I will get gray 1.7 :)

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jay, I wholeheartedly concur...I'd buy grey market on a Nikkor TC any day. The only benefit to buying U.S. in this case is the warranty.

7. Okay, so what are other things worth buying grey versus domestic (US)?

I'd throw in prime lenses, I've never had any problems with primes and there are less movable parts.

8. grey versus usa

I checked with Melville on a couple of lenses. They have I believe it was 3 levels of repairs, with an ascending price. I found most times as in buying used, if you ran into a big problem, you could have bought new.
    But in new, I think melville just puts the little USA stickers on the product and the box, otherwise it is all the same. CS Dayan