Teleconverters - which one for a 70-200 VR ?

Hi all,

I'm looking at extending a 70-200 VR on a D2X to get up to approx. a 500mm capability

Which type is best ?

(also: where is the search feature on this site ? )

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Using the nikon tc 1.4IIe and high speed crop feature on your camera will yield 560mm with extremely clear results and a net max apeture of f4. Pretty darn good!!

I have the 1.4 and 1.7. Both are fine. You might want to visit Ron Reznick's site. As I recall he grades them in the following manner (on a scale of 1 best to 10 worst):

1.4 -1
1.7 -2
2.0 -10

Rich

Rich Gibson said:
I have the 1.4 and 1.7. Both are fine. You might want to visit Ron Reznick's site. As I recall he grades them in the following manner (on a scale of 1 best to 10 worst):

1.4 -1
1.7 -2
2.0 -10

Rich

While I generally agree completely with what Ron says, I must be a very lucky person with an exceptionally good copy of a TC-20E. I do agree in general, but I don't find the difference to be that dramatic. I have seen at least 2 copies where this is the case, specifically when used on the 70-200. To be completely fair, those were on D100, D1H and D2H cameras, not the D2X

I do agree that I would most certainly use the 1.4 or the 1.7 before the 2.0, just to preserve the best AF performance.

Retief said:
[
While I generally agree completely with what Ron says, I must be a very lucky person with an exceptionally good copy of a TC-20E. I do agree in general, but I don't find the difference to be that dramatic. I have seen at least 2 copies where this is the case, specifically when used on the 70-200. To be completely fair, those were on D100, D1H and D2H cameras, not the D2X

I do agree that I would most certainly use the 1.4 or the 1.7 before the 2.0, just to preserve the best AF performance.

I had the 2.0 as well. I bought it because of the classic "man" syndrome: if some is good, more must be better. I used the 2.0 a lot wit my D100; I found the images with the 2.0 and the 70-200VR a bit hazy, but, as you suggest not horrible.

Rich

Some people tend to forget that you should treat a lens with a 2.0X teleconveter as a lens that really is 2X the focal length since everything is magnified. Throw in the other 1.5X crop factor and you got yourself the requirement for a verrrrry good tripod and/or mirror lock up, good stable platform with some absorbtion, and very high shutter speeds. I get a feeling a some people might be faltering in that area when testing the 2.0X TC.

That said, the 2.0X TC tends to work far better on sharper lens... like the 200mm f/2. Alas, that's some crazy money we are talking about.

Rich and Carroll, both EXCELLENT points.

Carroll, you bring up one that is so often overlooked, even without TC's. Just using the "standard" 1/focal length to determine minimum shutter speed we often forget the 1.5 factor. Through in a TC and it gets worse. Do crazy things as I sometimes do, stack a TC-14E and a TC-20E and the numbers get crazy rather quickly.

Couple this with the other thread regarding "sharpness" and it gives a lot of room for thought.

Latest threads

Top Bottom