Telephoto Landscapes

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Commodorefirst, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    not usually thought of as landscape lenses but the longer telephotos do lend themselves to that use.

200-400Vr with 1.7 tele converter, f7.1, 1/640 handheld, VR on of course :smile:

[​IMG]

2. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey Moderators, Move please, I ment to put this in landscape forum,

Wade

3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    another long telephoto shot, but this time a cityscape or bridgescape:

this one I have posted before, but it fits in this thread, 180mm 2.8 lens I took of this bridge from nearly a mile away. 20 second exposure, not handheld of course. :wink:

[​IMG]

Wade

4. Tele landscapes are my favourites. Here are a couple more to add to the mix...

300mm

500mm
    View attachment 20413

5. I will add a couple as well. Both with my tamron 75-300

The first is Mt Cook, or Aoraki (the cloud piercer) by it's local name. Our highest peak.

40569399.DSC_7644a700_2.

The next is Oriental Parade in Wellington where the telephoto accentuates the bends in the road

37031971.zigzagroad.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Red X Phil

7. Some shots (compositions) can only be made from a distance, so you'll need the tele. Like this "sunset cityscape" of the Montreal skyline (taken with my D100 at the time):

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Rory, Frits,

Great long tele shots,

thanks for posting them,

Wade

9. Some Telephoto Landscape Ramblings

Telephoto lenses have been used for landscapes for some time. Ansel Adams used moderately long lenses for some of his work. Leonard Lee Rue, famous wildlife photographer emeritus, would often use his long lenses (like a favorite 400mm f/3.5)to grab some landscapes while photographing big game. Telephoto helps in isolating a simple clean composition. A wide angle lens is generally a foreground lens, i.e. it's good to have an element of interest in the foreground as well as something of interest in the background. Extra long lenses can not only be used for landscapes but also with extension tubes for close-up work. The extra compression brings an interesting alternative look to a close-up image. There's lotsa right answers, and the photos I see posted here are very well executed indeed. I suspect, however, that the art galleries will wait for higher megapixel cameras and perhaps a younger generation who are comfortable with the digital world before embracing digital capture landscapes. It's just a matter of time.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Telephoto landscapes is something I want to start making more of an effort to work on when shooting landscapes in the future. Here's one I took back in the spring:

original.

11. Jeff

An awesome landscape - I love it!