Telephoto lens lust - help needed

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Kevin Scott, May 6, 2005.

1. Hello, my name is Kevin and I have LLD. I also think I've become a glass snob. UncleFrank said I must have 25 posts before I'm allowed in the "For Sale" forum so I figured I'd try to get there a little faster.

But seriously, I currently have an 80-200 but want more reach for wildlife photography. I'm not opposed to an extender but would like some opinions on a couple of primes. Unfortunately, I don't have $3000+ to spend on one so I'm considering two specific manual focus lenses: 400 f3.5 ED IF and the 500 f4 P ED IF. Does anyone here have these lenses and would mind sharing their experience? Or are there others in the same range I should consider?

I'm not opposed to the 300 f4 AF-S for about the same $ as the above. Mostly, I'm interested in the best optics. AF would be great but I'm afraid the length isn't quite long enough. I also figure the discipline of honing my manual focusing skills will be a good exercise.

Any thoughts?

2. Kevin, you're right about the manual focusing honing your skills. Even on the AF big boys, the M/AF setting lets you fine-tune the focus as the subject moves around slightly without coming out of AF first (something those white lenses can't do). So your practice will not be wasted when you move up.

I wish I could help you on the lenses you mention, but I've never used one of those.