Telephoto lens support assistance needed

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thank you again for all the good information. I have a tendency to overthink everything. Right now I'm just handholding my 80-400, and I keep the neck strap screwed into the bottom of the collar foot. I can walk for hours that way. Where do you keep the strap when you're using the foot for the tripod? I know the lens is too heavy to carry it attached to the camera body.
Actually I do have the strap attached to the camera! LOL! The 80-400 really isn't that big of a lens....at least compared to other lenses I have. I put the neck strap on, generally across body but sometimes over my shoulder, and hold the lens using the lens foot. Although a little short, the lens foot allows me to use 2-3 fingers to take the weight off the strap and walk around. Adding a longer lens plate would make it even easier to carry this way.

That is the way I carry my 70-200/2.8, 300/2.9 and 500/f4 (although the 500/f4 is generally on a tripod and gimbal.)

I probably use my ball head about 50-75% of the time with the 80-400 af-s, BUT being very careful to not loosen the ball too much or it will definitely flop over, possibly taking the tripod with it! If I happen to have my gimbal on the tripod, then the 80-400 just gets mounted on that.

I probably use my ball head about 50-75% of the time with the 80-400 af-s, BUT being very careful to not loosen the ball too much or it will definitely flop over, possibly taking the tripod with it! If I happen to have my gimbal on the tripod, then the 80-400 just gets mounted on that.
And this is EXACTLY why I have an Acratech ball head, so I don't have to worry about this, just flop it into "gimbal" mode. I'll have to give this a go just for the heck of it with my 600mm. Worked with the 400 f2.8, but certainly not what I would do for long term use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom