Tell me about Canada :) [Waterloo]

Waterloo , Ontario specifically :) .
I may be heading over there sometime soon .
I've never really travelled much and noticed that there is some nice 'scenery' over there ....at least according to this webcam ....

Picture_0011.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I may be getting a visitor soon to apply for the position of the seat cover for the passenger seat of my photovan

vanmod013.jpg

In any case I may end up traveling over there as well so I'm wondering what the best option would be to get there from New Zealand - I know it is by plane :rolleyes: but where would I fly to first and would it involve another plane flight or a bus or something else ?

Lived there for 16 months.

It's mostly a student city. There are two big universities, so expect a lot of youth population. Highly multicultural since there are many high tech companies, one of which is RIM (BlackBerry). The area has a lot of German culture, and has the best Oktoberfest celebrations in Ontario outside of maybe Toronto. Kitchener (adjacent to Waterloo, and we normally refer to it as K-W), has the highest number of law enforcement in Ontario. Not sure why, but keeps you safe, I suppose.

Best way to get here is to fly into Toronto or Hamilton and drive up. You can always fly into Waterloo but YYZ is a much bigger airport and typically the entrance hub if you're coming in from outside Canada anyway.

Lived there for 16 months.

It's mostly a student city. There are two big universities, so expect a lot of youth population. Highly multicultural since there are many high tech companies, one of which is RIM (BlackBerry). The area has a lot of German culture, and has the best Oktoberfest celebrations in Ontario outside of maybe Toronto. Kitchener (adjacent to Waterloo, and we normally refer to it as K-W), has the highest number of law enforcement in Ontario. Not sure why, but keeps you safe, I suppose.

Best way to get here is to fly into Toronto or Hamilton and drive up. You can always fly into Waterloo but YYZ is a much bigger airport and typically the entrance hub if you're coming in from outside Canada anyway.

Thanks for the info :) the 'scenery' works at the one university actually .
It's funny that the nearest New Zealand city to me is "Hamilton" as well :) .
I just looked up flights to Toronto - looks 'do-able' and would leave me about 100km from where I need to go .... I may be heading to that side of the world finally ? :Teeth::smile:

Desmond, I live in Kitchener and work just north of Waterloo in Elmira, so I drive through Waterloo every day (my son is going to one of the universities there right now). Toronto would be your normal place to land, but if you were to hit Calgary (assuming you are coming from that general direction), you have the option of landing directly in Kitchener using Westjet. There are various options to get from the Toronto airport to Waterloo depending on budget and time limitations.

As far as landscape scenery, you don't get the mountain views, but this area has river valleys and a gorge nearby. It's an easy drive to Niagara Falls as well (a must if you get this close). Waterloo is on the edge of a group of people called Mennonites (my background). Some of those have carried on the lifestyle from the 1880's for the most part for religious reasons. This includes transportation by horse and buggy.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions you might have. Hey, I might even be up for getting you from the airport depending on timing!

...The area has a lot of German culture, and has the best Oktoberfest celebrations in Ontario outside of maybe Toronto. Kitchener (adjacent to Waterloo, and we normally refer to it as K-W), has the highest number of law enforcement in Ontario. Not sure why, but keeps you safe, I suppose. ...

Since I'm paying taxes for those police, I'll have to check into that. I never heard that before, and I've lived in the area all my life.

Oktoberfest bills itself as the largest of these festivals outside of Germany. I think I've gone to one event in my life.

Real Name
Paul
Lovely scenery, Desmond. I suspect that there might be some huge culture shock going either way. Good luck.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions you might have. Hey, I might even be up for getting you from the airport depending on timing!

Hmmm , I hadn't thought of visiting Niagara falls - never even knew where it was before actually :smile: I might have to start thinking seriously about visiting the place for a while - could be fun meeting up with some cafe members .

Is this the same 'scenery" that was associated with Bend, Oregon?:confused:
Nope , that 'scenery' had heaps of emotional baggage :frown: - more than I could handle .

Lovely scenery, Desmond. I suspect that there might be some huge culture shock going either way. Good luck.

You mean I might need to educate her a bit 'eh' ?
I've been looking for a decent seat cover for the passenger seat of my photovan but most of them have told me that they wouldn't want me lifting heavy weights or trying to go around Ruapehu in a day .
When this lady heard about it she said "That looks cool , I'd like to try that as well ! " :Love:

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll only be an hour from Toronto...one of the biggest and most vibrant cities in the world!

You'll only be an hour from Toronto...one of the biggest and most vibrant cities in the world!

Sounds daunting :Teeth: , I don't suppose I'd be allowed to carry my knife ?
zfarmwalk001.jpg

I'm not into cities but I suppose if I were to fly halfway around the world for 18 hours it would make sense to see whatever there is to see there .

Real Name
Paul
When Lisa geard about it she said "That looks cool , I'd like to try that was well ! " :Love:

Ohhh, sounds like this one could be a keeper!

Sounds daunting :Teeth: , I don't suppose I'd be allowed to carry my knife ?

One of my favourite Crocodile Dundee quotes: "That's not a knife. (pulls out his HUGE knife) Now THAT'S a knife."

I suspect some citizens might get a wee bit upset if they were to see you carrying that. :biggrin:

Ohhh, sounds like this one could be a keeper!

Looking that way :) I just finished a 1 /12 hour video conversation with her :smile: It's 8:30 am here in New Zealand , 16:30 in Canada . I'm going to call her again a bit later as well :wink:
She doesn't like machetes though - I'm not sure she's entirely "normal" ?

One of my favourite Crocodile Dundee quotes: "That's not a knife. (pulls out his HUGE knife) Now THAT'S a knife."

I suspect some citizens might get a wee bit upset if they were to see you carrying that. :biggrin:

That's what people here say when I pull it out .... " Now that's a knife! " - but the police said I can't carry it on my any more even if I only have it as a useful tool - it classifies as a weapon :frown: That's why when I go hiking in the bush I have two knives and a machete - I have an excuse to carry them :biggrin:

Hmmm , I hadn't thought of visiting Niagara falls - never even knew where it was before actually :smile: I might have to start thinking seriously about visiting the place for a while - could be fun meeting up with some cafe members .
This is where Lisa works :

School of Optometry
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1 Canada
Phone: Clinic +1 519 888 4062, Administration +1 519 888 4567 Ext. 33178
contact us | website feedback | privacy | site index

Nope , that 'scenery' had heaps of emotional baggage :frown: - more than I could handle .

You mean I might need to educate her a bit 'eh' ?
I've been looking for a decent seat cover for the passenger seat of my photovan but most of them have told me that they wouldn't want me lifting heavy weights or trying to go around Ruapehu in a day .
When Lisa geard about it she said "That looks cool , I'd like to try that was well ! " :Love:

With a local contact, you'll probably get all kinds of advice about what is out there. Since you are an outdoors type, one key SW Ontario feature is the Bruce Trail. There are some great areas this trail network covers. Bear country in the north. Wine country down by Niagara.

Here's a link to start you:

http://brucetrail.org/places

A sunrise shot of the falls from last week. Not often someone pays for a 15th floor room looking over the falls for me. I had to take advantage of it. D40/18-105VR.

DSC_7160%20Niagara%20Falls.jpg

Oh Des, if you're coming all this way, you just have to visit Toronto! It's a fabulous city. If Omar can't retrieve you from the airport, you can count on me. Catching the train to Waterloo will be a lot faster than trying to get a connecting flight. I'll get you from the airport to the train station (45 mins), with a stop for a bevvie, of course. LOL

You're going to love Ontario, it's great here. All sorts of things, from wilderness trails to theatre to great dining. We have to get you over to The Danforth, out to the Islands, and yes, Niagara Falls is a must-see.

When are you planning on coming? Don't forget, spring hasn't arrived here yet. Everything is still pretty barren and brown. Little shoots of green popping up under the dead leaves give a promise of spring.

Toronto is very much like New York, except 20x smaller; more manageable but very similar feel.

With a local contact, you'll probably get all kinds of advice about what is out there. Since you are an outdoors type, one key SW Ontario feature is the Bruce Trail. There are some great areas this trail network covers. Bear country in the north. Wine country down by Niagara.

Here's a link to start you:

http://brucetrail.org/places

A sunrise shot of the falls from last week. Not often someone pays for a 15th floor room looking over the falls for me. I had to take advantage of it. D40/18-105VR
That's really nice picture , the D40 is my favourite camera as well .
Thanks for the info !

Oh Des, if you're coming all this way, you just have to visit Toronto! It's a fabulous city. If Omar can't retrieve you from the airport, you can count on me. Catching the train to Waterloo will be a lot faster than trying to get a connecting flight. I'll get you from the airport to the train station (45 mins), with a stop for a bevvie, of course. LOL

You're going to love Ontario, it's great here. All sorts of things, from wilderness trails to theatre to great dining. We have to get you over to The Danforth, out to the Islands, and yes, Niagara Falls is a must-see.

When are you planning on coming? Don't forget, spring hasn't arrived here yet. Everything is still pretty barren and brown. Little shoots of green popping up under the dead leaves give a promise of spring.

I never realized you were over there - would you pick me up in a kayak ?:biggrin:
The weather is getting colder over here , I would like my lady friend to come over and visit before winter to decide if she thinks she could live in New Zealand and if it does all happen then I will give her the option of 'us' moving back to her hometown after two years - who knows , I may end up living over there :smile: But first she would have to endure two years of the photovan's adventures !

Toronto is very much like New York, except 20x smaller; more manageable but very similar feel.

My general knowledge of the area was very sketchy at best - all I've even known of New York is this image of tall building next to the sea :) - I was surprised when I had a good look at the area .

As long as you don't go taking your gear through Jane and Finch you'll find Toronto a great place to visit :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom