Tell me about this work ...

Discussion in 'People' started by Chris101, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Please take a look at my latest website. I feature half a dozen of my people pictures (and two graphics I did 6 months ago - but nevermind them) in a website I just updated for a local company doing tutoring in Phoenix:

http://morristutoring.com/

I have only gotten feedback from the owner, four employees and three of the models, so I would love some of the frank, honest photo evaluation I have gotten from the Cafe in the past. In other words, criticize my work so that I may improve upon my next iteration.

ps, this is live and paid for, but I have an ongoing maintenance contract, so I want to continue to provide improvements.

2. Hey Chris the site looks good. Some of the photo's are really fitting with the website some two photo's i found to colourfull or not totally right. The one photo of the woman who is started the company maybe you can try a black and white photo there. Else leave it at is.

And the photo of evaluations is bit distracting to my taste. But overall it is very good site.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

3. I like the site, Chris. On my laptop, some of the book pages are a little bright, but still okay. The only thing that stands out for me is on the evaluations page. I think more of the book needs to be shown. The little bit of black is distacting to me.

All in all, it is a great website. I wish mine looked as good!

4. Very nice work Chris, I think the photo's fit in nicely with the page they are on. The one image that jumps out at me is the one of Susan (the owner). It seems too colorful and background too cluttered. I think i would tone down the background by desaturating it. I would also tone down the facial highlights by using the clone tool in darken mode at about 20%. The image of the boy at the blackboard is a little overexposed for my tastes and I would decrease the EV. Other than that I think the rest of these are very appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Vince and Greg. You both note that the picture of Amita (smiling girl with the pencil) is distracting. In fact I noticed the black wedge of paper earlier, so I do think tht needs to go. And maybe shave off a bit of the yellow at the lower left?

Here's my edit, you might have to refresh to see it right:
    [​IMG]

On the owner's pic, I will need to consult with her before changing it, as she spent about a week (months ago) going through the half dozen portraits of her to finally select this one.

Thanks again for your input!!! :smile: :biggrin:

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gordon! I didn't see your post, as I was posting at the same time. I'll take a look at the items you mentioned, but as I said to Vince and Greg, I'll need to tread lightly with Susan's portrait.

7. I think it works very well for the purpose it was intended for......getting out information.

The font size/styles are easy to read.
    The pictures are very good and fit well.
    The site loads fast...but...I have a T1 line.

Lots of "black & white"....not an "art" site, an info site....seems fine to me.. :smile:

8. Hi, Chris

Isn't website design fun? I have a couple of comments.

1. Morris Tutoring Associates, Inc. that you have a the top of each page might look better if the heading were centered over the text below.

2. None of the items in the text region of your pages seem to be clickable. I know this makes for a simpler design, but in the long run you might think about adding new pages so that some of this information could be highlighted.

3. I think the site would be more interesting if you used more color. It could be just a simple background on text heading. If the school has a logo or colors, you could try and integrate this into the site. You did this on the pricing page, but extending its use would be beneficial.

4. On the photographs, I'd like to see Susan's image centered. You don't need the extra space on the right and somehow I think, if centered, this would appear like she is connecting more directly with the viewer. The image on the index page seems a little washed out. There isn't enough detail in the image. You might consider adding borders and/or drop shadows to the images too.

What software did you use to develop the site?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Does any of this help?

9. Yes looks great Chris. I could complain some more about the little bit blueish above her head but that is not noticiable for normal website visiters.

Good job and like asked before what kind of program you use for website building. Looks good.

Greetings,
    Vince

10. Funny that is the picture on the site that I liked. The others were a bit stale, almost too matter of fact. The girl on the main page is good (perfect composition for the purpose) but the photo could use some color to help make it pop.

I guess what I am saying is that while technically the photos are fine, I felt they could use a bit more "something" to make them interesting. Wether that be a great facial expression or saturated colors or anything else to make them eye catching. This is advertising after all and the likelyhood of going over the top (a.k.a. cheesy) is small.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, you asked for it!

I like the site, and I like the photos - especially the one of the owner - though you might consider using a square crop.

But (and there's always a but, eh?)... I think you could have done better with the extractions - the soft edges makes it look like an cheezy PS job (like something I would have done). I'm also not sure if you added any softening filters or blur, but I think it looks a bit too dreamy.

But hey, my opinions aren't worth much anyways. I really like the way you did the site - nice, clean and simple. Wanna do mine?!? Anyone looking at my site can tell straight away that I'm no website designer!

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - I've missed a lot of comments here! Mike: Thanks!

Virginia: Susan prints out any page I do and then goes at it with a red pen. Most of the spacing, colors, and all of the content are my attempts to minimize the red ink marks. I concur on the first page image. It could probably be a bit larger and blended into the text, too, doncha think. I'll work on that, and I'll add some color to the header too.

Vince: Dreamweaver MX. I've installed it on their 'back office' computer in the workspace of a password protected user named "Webmaster". Part of my job on this is to train some of the personell there (esp. Susan!) how to edit their own site. Last week, when I went there, the entire site had been deleted. Thus the security. Anyway, Dreamweaver is pretty user friendly, and it's powerful enough that I won't be limited in my design. And for .edu use, it's cheap. -- oh yeah, I see that little whispy thing. I'll fix that too.

Thanks Matt! Amita's photo is my favorite one as well (except for, maybe Susan) but I had more fun with the one on the front page, because I was standing on the table, shooting down. I'll take a second shot at processing it to see if I can't get it to snap a bit more.

Gregory - HA! Your Ximina's Photo Lessons site is a gem of a site! Yes, I did attempt to give the photos a dreamy glow. I was trying to convey a non-intimidating mood. Going to tutoring is scary for a lot of kids, so I wanted to show pictures of their attractive peers in a somewhat fantasy, yet learning oriented, setting. The cheesy glow and washed out parts is how I was trying to get this. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for commenting and giving me your unabridged opinions of this. I will be set for the next edit thanks to many of your suggestions!

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I'd say ditch the soft filter and maybe soften the edges of the frame - so it doesn't look so "square." Also, who's the target audience, the parents of the kids?

If you're targeting the kids, maybe you'll want to do something a bit more 'snazzy' like a photo frame (white border) and a drop shadow and a bit of an angle to make it more relaxed. If your targeting the parents, something a bit more formal would prolly work better.

At any rate, the extraction looks pretty obvious around the edges. If you want to shoot me the original file, then I'll see what I can do as far as the extraction part is concerned.