TELL ME why....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sarhento, Jul 27, 2005.

1. I should'nt be excited seeing...

THIS

It's on the way! Anytime now it will be at me door.

Boy oh Boy! I haven't used anything wider that 24mm, so this will definitely be interesting.

Okay, it's not a nikon - it's a Tokina 12-24. But I've read some positive reviews of it that I decided to give it a try.

Hey Guys, tell me what to bear in mind in using wide angle lenses such as this. Would be much appreciated.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    LOL, it really distorts your images on the wide end ;c)

examples of my Nikon 12-24 before it slid off the car hitting the pavement, necessitating a repair. :?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Henk

Henk Guest

I'v read some very good reviews on that Tokina too, most state that there is no visible diffrence in image quality to the Nikon.
    Anyway, congrats on your purchase and don't forget to post your results!

best regards

Henk

4. Henk

Henk Guest

@Steve: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW! awesome ride :shock: :shock:

5. OUch!! Steve.

How did the repair go? Any noticeable difference in image quality after that?

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Jsut sent it in

NOT under any warranty, so it'll cost 100's.

7. I lied :wink:

I do have a 20mm which I really like.

8. I am soooooooo jealous! Someday...someday, I'll have one of those! Going to drown my sorrows in a pile of chocolate chip cookies now, LOL! Seriously, be sure to post some pics when you get it. That truly is the one lens I want right now.

9. Gee Sommer all I want is a chocolate chip cookie!!! :D

10. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    I spent the weekend shooting th eTokina 12-24 on my D2x. I have the Nikkor 12-24 and while sharpness was very close, my problem with it was the large amount of CA it exhibited. Mine also squeaked when zoomed so perhaps I had a bad sample. I decided to keep the Nikkor are return the Tokina.

11. Thanks for the input, Ruffles. Any chance you still have an image which exhibits CA? Kindly post or send to me if you don't mind. When I get my copy I'd like to test it bearing possible CA in mind.

12. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Here's a bad pic because everyone's pretty small but trust me, the CA is there and shows up in all pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have the Tokina 12-24 and it is one my favorites lens.
    This is from the Detroit Zoo on Sunday with it.
    [​IMG]

14. Wow, Ruffles I hope you had a bad sample. That CA is bad, bad, bad.

Are wide angles prone to CA? How do you minimize it if you can do it at all? Will it show in print?

15. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    My experience has been that CA shows up most often in wide angles but is present in other lens as well. It seems to be most prevelent in areas of high contrast. It definatly shows up in prints. There are photoshop filters that reduce the affects but I'd rather they just not be there to begin with.

The thing that struck me most about the Tokina was that I noticed the CA immediatily while reviewing images on the camera! I've never had that with other lens. I always had to enlarge to 100% on the computer to really see it.

The only other lens that I've seen with CA like this is SOME samples of the 10.5 fisheye. I originally got one before my 12-24 thinking I would use it as my wide angle. It was a perfect lens and produced little to no CA. It wasn't, however, a wide angle replacement so I returned it and got the 12-24. Since then, I've bought the 10.5 two other times. Both of these lens had CA like the photo above so they were returned. One of these days when I have some extra cash, I'll try another and see if I can find one as good as my original.

Good luck with your lens.

16. The UPS man showed up

Thank you for your reply.

My wife just called me at work to let me know that my Tokina had just been delivered. Needless to say, I can't wait. I'm glad I will be off work tomorrow so I hope to have some "quality time" with my new acquisition :lol:

Needless to say, CA will be foremost in my testing.