Temps in computers.

Hello, what are the safe ranges for temperatures in computers.

The CPU, the GPU and the hard drives?

Thanks.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Opinions differ. A rough idea for modern CPUs (i7 etc.) is that:
- idling under 50 is good.
- under 70 all the time, even under load, is ideal.
- under 80 is fine all the time.
- 80-89 at peak moments is OK.
- 90+ is likely to shorten the life of components, you are taking a risk.
- 100+ the CPU should automatically throttle back to avoid meltdown. Don't do it.

I think the same goes for GPUs.

I don't know about disks.

Thanks. Your are in the UK so your are using Celsius which is fine I just will convert over to Fahrenheit. My newly built computer is running the CPU from 31 to 34 C. The GPU is from 50 to 54 C. Hard drives are between 27-35 C. Had to build another computer when my power supply hit 104 C. Fried the board but the video card and hard drives were OK. Smelled something burning and took me a couple of minutes to figure it out.

Growltiger has it pretty much spot on.

I would only add that Hard Drives adn GPUs are built to run hotter.

I would try not to let you HD get above the 40C mark. 50 - 54 for a GPU is quite cool (What kind is it?) Anything upto 80 is acceptable for GPUs. My two 4890s sit between 65 and 70 which are perfectly normal temps for these cards.

Good info, thanks. The GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO. Outdated by now but does what I want. Has a built in cooling fan and at this moment I have 3 case fans. One top 140mm, front 120mm and back case fan 120mm. I am adding two 140mm fans to the side when they arrive. The front fan can be replaced with a 140mm if I want. Two of three hard drives have a twin fan blowing from the outside onto the HD's and a heatsink on top. The third HD has a twin cooling fan attached to the bottom of the HD. The fans on the HD's brought the temps down from 55 C to around 30 C.

Thanks. Your are in the UK so your are using Celsius which is fine I just will convert over to Fahrenheit. My newly built computer is running the CPU from 31 to 34 C. The GPU is from 50 to 54 C. Hard drives are between 27-35 C. Had to build another computer when my power supply hit 104 C. Fried the board but the video card and hard drives were OK. Smelled something burning and took me a couple of minutes to figure it out.

Your temps seem fine. My i7 runs as low as 26C at idle and 60C at full load (Not counting prime95 where I can hit the upper 60's). That would be considered relatively cool.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm overclocked from the stock 3.4 GHz to 4.5 GHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear. I was going to install two 140mm fans on the side of the case but just added one. Dropped the temps about 5C. I dropped the CPU fan speed in half and with the side fan it still is staying cool. I will monitor it to make sure. If not I will increase the fan speed. Thanks for you input.

Well if you really want to stay cool then water cooling is the way to go. The Koolance is the easiest setup and is quieter than alot of fans. Even when gaming I have never had the fans kick into high with their Exos unit. Mine is several years old. It isnt cheap but it works better than fans in my opinon.

Well if you really want to stay cool then water cooling is the way to go. The Koolance is the easiest setup and is quieter than alot of fans. Even when gaming I have never had the fans kick into high with their Exos unit. Mine is several years old. It isnt cheap but it works better than fans in my opinon.

This is very true. Just bear in mind that water cooling does require a fair bit on maintainence to keep in running optimally.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom