1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tempted by a cheap 105/2.5.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Connahhh, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I dropped by my local camera store today and saw two 105/2.5's they had for sale. I asked prices and she said one was the Pc version (perspective control? how? I saw no knobs) and one was the "normal" version. $90 and $80 respectively.

Despite it being so cheap, I don't know. I own an 85/1.8, so I don't know how much I'd use it.

I also tried out a 35/2. Now that's an amazing lens. What do they normally go for used?

2. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking $300-350 used.....but I may be a bit foggy on that. The 35/2 is a FANTASTIC lens, especially on DX. It was my favorite on my D200. :smile:

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The PC version is the original multicoated version made in the early-mid 70s.
    P = Penta = 5 elements
    C = multicoated.
    It's not a perspective control lens :smile:

This version has the same optics as the AI and AIS versions. If the lens has been AI converted and the glass and mechanics are in good shape, it will be worth considering. If it has the original unmodified aperture ring it will not fit the D50.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The 105/2.5 is a good deal. The 105/2.5P version is older, some of them use the older Sonnar design which produces the creamiest bokeh ever (and the regular 105/2.5 already has very nice bokeh), but is a little softer at close range than the regular 105/2.5.

85/1.8... a good condition copy is about $260. 35/2... about $210 for a good copy.

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    There's an older version of the 105/2.5P that used a different optical formula. Well... I had one and it was AI-converted.

6. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Well, I was planning on caving, but I didn't have to!

I got a call from my Dad today saying he picked up the PC version. He is the new owner of a Gigapan (www.gigapan.org) and wanted it as a sharp long lens. AF didn't matter, and it was cheap. Happy about that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.