1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tennis anyone!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by raygun, Jun 29, 2008.

1. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    I was shooting a lacrosse tournament at Hampshire Hills yesterday, and was asked by the owner to get a few shots of the tennis tournament they were holding there. Here are some of my favs:

LAX_9036.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LAX_9085.jpg

LAX_9155.jpg

LAX_9188.jpg

LAX_9100.jpg

LAX_8927.jpg

LAX_8931.jpg

2. some interesting shots
    well done

love the look of determination.... on most
    utter bewilderment on others..... :tongue::wink:

3. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Chris and Greg.

What I noticed was that the better the player, the less exciting the shots, as the experienced players moved without effort and were very efficient with their swings. These guys were strong, however, as you can see from the motion blur at 1/1000th ss...

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    EXCELLENT!!!

I've not shot tennis yet. Were you allowed inside the court?

5. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Inside the court

Yes, I was allowed to sit courtside by the owner of the venue. I worried about the players being disturbed by the Nikon's CLICK!, but they didn't seem to be (no direct stares my way when they missed the net). However, I did not start shooting the serves until they were well into the swing. Clearly, it would have been better to use a 500mm lens from the hill, but then I'd only be able to get the nearest court. However, if they plan to go into the pro circuit, they will have to get used to a lot more clicking than my D300 made...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.