Tennis anyone?

I took these on Thursday of a girls HS match with my relatively new 180 f/2.8. This particular venue allows me to get closer to the players, as the sides of the courts are open - permitting use of this lens without a TC. Most are totally enclosed in chain link and courts close together, in those cases I'm usually only afforded access against the fence off the ends of the court - end up using this lens with a 1.4 TC or use a 70-300 VR.

Very happy that I purchased this lens - fantastic sharpness and contrast. Seems a real value at that.

190379049-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

190378338-L.jpg

190365899-L.jpg

Thanks Bruce, I have never shot tennis, but I would like to give it a try. With high school sports in full swing, I'll get permission to sit between the courts with my 70-200mm lens.

Agree...Love the faces - Great expressions . I have heard that is a really nice lens. Something else to put on the list..

Cool shots -- I just ordered myself a 180 as well to shoot some tennis this season. I tried my hand with the 70-300 VR the other day in later afternoon sun and it worked tremendously well -- but I need to work on tracking the ball better so it is within the frame and to keep the background lesss cluttered; something the 180 will help with just with the 2.8 alone

Dan/Jim/Biggs - thanks for taking time to comment. I have a 70-300 VR also and it is sharp, IMO (even at 300, f/5.6 for me), but the 180 is crazy sharp, plus the reduced depth-of-field.

Jim, this particular venue is arranged so that I could be more or less at center court, maybe 15-20 feet off the net post, so the 180 was a perfect focal length. At most school courts, the coaches don't allow me between courts where several are in a row, and I'll shoot from off the end, leaning on the fence. From that range, I use the 70-300 VR or the 180 with a 1.4 TC. Wear a light green shirt... I collect beaucoup dust/dirt off the fence nets.

Dan, as far as tracking... I focus on the player and try to anticipate the ball approaching/leaving based on their body language. Serves are tough, and you have to learn to 'time' different players - sort of like trying to hit a baseball, I guess.

Latest threads

Top Bottom