Tennis : I.S.T / last update 2007.05.28

Here is a small gallery of the "Internationaux de tennis de Strasbourg".

Comments are welcome

http://thibaultd.ifrance.com/IST/index.html

Samples :
DSC_4959-NX.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_4921-NX.jpg

:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the action shots are missing the ball. I cannot comment on the artsy stuff as I am no good at it.

Update of Tuesday :

Thanks acena for your comment, I tried to apply your advices for the action shots. Others are welcome to comment :)

DSC_5071-NX.jpg

DSC_5080-NX.jpg

DSC_5234-NX.jpg

DSC_5522-NX.jpg

DSC_5517-NX.jpg

man, that great red clay looks awesome.... not too many places in the NE area have the good stuff, my club and most others only have the har-tru stuff (which is good, but no red clay!)

Last updates :

DSC_5660-NX.jpg

DSC_6136-NX.jpg

DSC_6198-NX.jpg

DSC_6135-NX.jpg

please comment :) thanks.

Others are welcome to comment :)

Hi Testy, I'm not really qualified to make comments on tennis but I'll give it a try considering I really enjoy seeing good shots of it. Anyway, please take my comments with a grain of salt. :redface:

First, I really had to get used to the clay and dark pink background colors. :eek: For me anyway, not that easy on the eyes, but certainly, it couldn't be helped. I liked your last set you posted best. The action was better and also, your "artsy" image #10 is great. In fact, I think it's my favorite out of this series. I also liked #9, though I wished for some room at the bottom.

With that said, when I look at all your images as a whole, there's a lot of backside or side shots of the players, along with shots cropped at weird places. I'm guessing part of the problem was that your shooting location wasn't too good, ie., the near court gave you a lot of side and rear shots, while the far court shots of the players were too insignificant due to lack of reach and had poor background with a bunch of people standing around. The weird crops, ie., cut off legs at weird places were forced, I think, because you were trying to include the ball, which was far from the player. I think the solution to that would be to continue practicing to get the shot closer to impact or have a better shooting vantage.

I am surprised you didn't post this shot from your gallery, your only frontside shot? I would imagine it's because of the shadow; it doesn't look too bad, maybe just a hair more selective lightening. The timing might be a little off, but at least it's a frontside shot of a player very engaged in the game and there's more of a connection for the viewer:
DSC_4876-NX.jpg

Since I do a lot of my learning just by looking at and analyzing shots that I admire, I remembered and searched for a memorable thread by "bjokke," of Kim Clijsters, but unfortunately, the images have been removed. :frown: There was another one more recently, that had a great shot in it - hope you won't mind me placing a link:
By "hegdent"
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=107955&highlight=tennis

Also, here's one with some great tips and examples given, if you haven't seen it already (please excuse, if you already have):
By "iudoc97"
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110489&highlight=tennis

Anyway, keep shooting away! The more you do, the more you'll learn to anticipate the kind of shots you want to get and will hone you up on your timing. The other things like exposure and color (other than fighting with that infernal neon background) look great! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Arif

Hi,
I was looking to see if I could connect with either the picture or the players or if I could tell how this was a tournament location was different. I too am trying to learn about sports photography (please see my sample sumo pictures) and perhaps made the same mistake of not getting the feel of the place included in the gallery. I agree with Miko's comment and also like the picture he mentioned since it brings me into the game. I crop if no spectators are present since it may be a detractor. I do like the colors and that things are in focus/sharp.

Looking forward to your continued success and development a photographer ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom