Terns and GBH, with Bald Eagle Interaction

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Went to shoot Fishing Osprey's, and while I did get some, eventually I'll get some posted, the Terns and GBH put on a nice show as well.

A couple of Tern Fly-By's:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Your Face GBH, a real No-Cropper:
    [​IMG]

Coming In for a Landing:
    [​IMG]

Touchdown!!!!:
    [​IMG]

This last image was quite a way off, I was tracking the GBH as it dove on a fish, so the Eagle Quality isn't quite what I'd like. At the time the GBH had it's back to me, I was expecting to get the sequence of it lifting off the water with the fish, when suddenly ........

Bald Eagle Fish Stealer:
    [​IMG]

These Eagles sit up in the trees just waiting for Osprey/Gulls/GBH to catch fish, then they swoop in and try to steal the fish, lazy buggers. Makes you wonder sometimes about our National Symbol doesn't it? Then again, maybe it makes sense, they act just like our Politicians!!!! :eek::eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

All shot with D200, 400 f2.8 plus TC-17E

2. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Nice set, Bill! The last one was really "at the right place on the right time" shot.

Actually I saw herons chasing ospreys an kites a few times. They are fighters too if necessary!

3. Wow what a kewl capture! Nice going.

4. Thanks. I'd really like to say I "planned" that last shot, but in truth I had no clue until I looked at the images. I knew the Eagle had swooped in, but the luck of catching it in that position. Just wish it had not been so darned far away, and that I had been comped for the Eagle :biggrin:

Thanks, sometimes Luck is your friend.

5. I bet that Heron was a bit scared! Cool shot Bill!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great Blues are big and fairly powerful birds, but I'd say that this one got off lucky, because they are no match for a large Eagle. This one was fortunate to just lose a fish. :rolleyes:

Neat captures Bill.

7. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    That last one is incredible.

8. Bill super catches. Excellent capture on the Eagle and the GBH.

Louie