Terra Cotta army as found originally

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by barry lloyd, Sep 7, 2017.

1. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    5P1kBuX.

i could have posted the usual shot of the army but thought something a bit different may be of interest.

41D416p.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Interesting take. I like it.

3. Like the contrast between the 2; but it is always good to see how it really was!

4. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    thank you. i did take some photos of the horses discovered and warriors under repair , but showing them in the pits as discovered was more interesting.
    We only had about 8 days in China and like the Jaanese it was see everything no time to look properly at anything. It was take a photo and move on type of thing. We only had time for about half an hour on reaching our hotel when the tour guide was ready to show us the sites.

Never eaten in an Emperors palace before with the walls covered in gold leaf.Oh yes 15 course meal we had there

73ZxV6H.

Have to say it was one of the best holidays ever and would love to go back.
    In those 8 days I could write a decent size book on the experience we packed in so much

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Your photographs of the Xian warriors are particularly interesting because you show the condition in which they were originally found before the broken pieces were carefully re-assembled again. Excavation and restoration is still an ongoing task.

Did you run into difficulties taking photographs of the Warriors? They used to be quite strict about enforcing "no photography" rules in the museum so one had to operate surreptitiously.

We spent six weeks in China and even that was not nearly enough time either!

So much to see and learn and it's such a huge country too.

However, just the two of us were travelling alone (and not in an organised group); and we had the sweetest guides/interpreters everywhere (who all fitted in with our dawn-until-midnight schedule with the greatest good nature!) so we did see an enormous amount of the country and were able to linger as long as we liked at any particular location — and change our plans and do extra things on the spur of the moment as the weather changed or we discovered new places or objects of interest.

We even managed to squeeze in a last minute dash up to the Emperor Qianlong's summer hunting lodge in Chengde from Beijing (and get back again in time to catch our evening flight home) on our last day.

We did catch our flight — but only with minutes to spare.

6. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Ann_JS

Did you get a chance to see this?

lNc2rOC.

The story is

This is a replica in stone of a wooden boat on a man made 70 acre lake . An Emporers childrens governor had this built after she murdered his children so she could rule China . her name was CHI CHI (pronounced SI SI). A real nasty piece of work. Near the front of the boat was a huge mirror and anyone who got infront of it to spoil her view going around the lake was killed. The mirror allowed here to see what the crew were doing so she could not be stabbed in the back

7. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    No proplems with taking photos of the warriors in the pits from the balcony

Repairing broken warriors
    3Jen9nt.

2AQR13b.

And the horses found in the pit
    REXiyr7.

sorry if bit blurred but readable
    PgfJWFB.

ugwMZxA.

See security guard in background watching me, but never bothered to try and stop me. As long as one respects the rules anywhere in China never had any problems taking photos

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  8. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Our guide who met us again on return from Zian on the day we were going home she asked if we enjoyed to holiday. Of course we did and told her so. Sue did say the bed was a bit hard and the poor girl burst into tears, so so said it didn't matter he way she looked afte us was fantastic which cheered her up. The Chinese tours guides are very sensetive to the impression the give about thier country as they have to be government approved, not easy to do

9. Barry, when were these taken?

10. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    I took these in 2006 with a Nikon D70s (6 megapixel camera) and 70-300mm lens.

i have been to clearwater and had a ride on the large yellow speedboat which went down an estuary before reaching the sea. Also saw the manatee that were being cared for after being hit by boat propellers. That was a good few years ago now. Also did the space centre and the Disney resort. We stayed at the Best Western hotel on international drive not far from water world on the same strip. Didn't get to go on the Iride buses I think they were called.

On another trip to the USA we went to see Alcatraz and stayed in Fishermans Wharf from there went to Yosemite and also saw the Red Woods in
    WlbuybL.

but all that is another story

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    We spent almost a full day at the Summer Palace: so much to marvel at and to photograph — including the marble boat and the magnificent bronze Water Buffalo.

I was in China during the Autumn of 2007 and was still shooting negative colour film at that time because it gave me more flexibility than I felt that the digital cameras of that era could but I had to take a second camera bag filled to the rim entirely with Film.
    (I have always processed all my own film and adjusted processing to the subject matter and the shooting conditions.)
    I will try to process my scans from the Chinese trip and post some pictures — but I will start another thread for them and not hijack yours!
    :)

12. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    The book "The Dragon Empress" by Marina Warner, is very well written and tells the story of Tz'U-Hsi most beautifully.
    It is a "must read" for gaining an understanding of Imperial China.

13. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    High jack mine as much as you like

14. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    That's very kind and most generous of you.

So here are a few photographs from the Great Wall at Mutianyu:
    8-Mutianyu-GreatWall-23_1_web.
    8-Mutianyu-GreatWall-13_web.
    8-Mutianyu-GreatWall-6_web.

8-Mutianyu-GreatWall24_web.

8-Mutianyu-GreatWall29_web.
    9-Mutianyu-GreatWall2_web.
    9-Mutianyu-GreatWall11_web.
    9-Mutianyu-GreatWall10_web.
    And here is the shot that I took much further north at Simatai on the way up to Manchuria.

That section is spectacularly steep, in very dangerous condition and it is officially closed to the public but many people do climb up there anyway — although we did not!

102-Simatai-Wall-08_web.

Attached Files:

15. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Great shots bet you would like to go back again

16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I would love to!
    :)

17. This one is brilliant :D

18. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Thank you

19. This is a very interesting image but it could be so much better with just a little PS work, especially in Image - Adjustments- Levels. Just pulling the right and left sliders in until they touch the data makes a significant improvement in the image.