Critique Terri’s 52 Week starting halfway through 2020 Week 52 (Dec. 26 update)

It looks as though you all had a wonderful time together! Between that and the party out at your daughter's new home by the river, you've had a great family-filled weekend!

Will the kids be going back to school in the physical school buildings or will they be doing remote learning from home via the internet? Or a hybrid combination? Schools here were originally intending to do the hybrid thing but are now all going to be doing remote learning only, at least for the first few weeks.
The elementary school kids go to school normally five days a week. The high school have one day a week remotely and the rest at the buildings.

I hope all works out well and that school can progress as they had in the past! Attending school in-person offers so many things beyond simply "reading, writing and arithmetic!" Socialization and communication skills, making connections with others, learning from others about their own cultural backgrounds and heritage, etc., etc.

I hope all works out well and that school can progress as they had in the past! Attending school in-person offers so many things beyond simply "reading, writing and arithmetic!" Socialization and communication skills, making connections with others, learning from others about their own cultural backgrounds and heritage, etc., etc.
I agree 100%. The kids are so excited to go back to school. I hope the in person instruction lasts!!

Week 35
I have been debating whether or not to sell my D5600 and get a Z50 for a small/light carry around camera. I've only had the D5600 for two years so it is still fairly new. I have been taking a lot of photos with it trying to make a decision on whether or not I want to keep it. It actually has impressed me, even with the kit lens. I really love the fully articulating screen.

Basil that I didn't pick before it blossomed.
_56D7750.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Love these cherry tomatoes

_56D7659.jpg

I like to take the camera on my nightly walks. Not a great scene, but the photos are fun for me to remember how the landscape changes with the seasons.

_56D7774.jpg

Week 36
Mostly a week at home working, but I am still playing around with the D5600. I also took the Z6 and 50 f1.8 to my daughter's house yesterday. For now, I'm deciding that the D5600 is still working well for me and I'm not sure I want to spend the money to upgrade to a newer camera (that could change tomorrow, of course). I would love the EVF on the Z50, but for now I think I'll just hold out and possibly get an 85 f1.8 for my Z6 one of these days. Our nice weather will soon be over and my shooting will slow down considerably during the winter and I don't enjoy getting out in the cold much. So bear with me. My prolific photo sharing will decrease soon!!

ISO 3600 wasn't bad on the D5600 on this shot. I was also playing with my old 70-200 f 2.8.

_56D8207.jpg

More playing with the 70-200 f2.8
_56D8219.jpg

D5600 and the 105 f2.8 macro
_56D8258.jpg

The grandkids.
_DSC4823.jpg
_DSC4824.jpg
_DSC4826.jpg

Last edited:
Terri, you sure have the touch when it comes to shooting beautiful flowers and plants! People, too! I hadn't realized that Basil actually produces flowers -- all I've ever seen is the leaves! The African violets remind me of my mother, who loved them, and always had several in the windowsills around our home..... All of these photos are very enjoyable!

It took me a very long time to make up my mind about what I was going to do when it came to making a change in my camera gear, so I can relate to your thinking process now! One of the things which did point me in the direction of moving all the way to mirrorless was that I got really hooked on the EVF that I had in the NEX 7 and also in the RX10 IV; going back to an optical VF in my Nikons just felt odd to me and I found myself using the other two cameras, especially that RX10 IV, more and more.... Of course then I kind of went backwards when it came to size of gear, as although the camera body itself is smaller than my DSLRs were, some of my lenses are significantly larger.... I never thought I'd be doing the whole tripod-Wimberley-long lens thing again! These days when I want small and light, plus versatile, I still reach for the RX10 IV.....

Terri, you sure have the touch when it comes to shooting beautiful flowers and plants! People, too! I hadn't realized that Basil actually produces flowers -- all I've ever seen is the leaves! The African violets remind me of my mother, who loved them, and always had several in the windowsills around our home..... All of these photos are very enjoyable!

It took me a very long time to make up my mind about what I was going to do when it came to making a change in my camera gear, so I can relate to your thinking process now! One of the things which did point me in the direction of moving all the way to mirrorless was that I got really hooked on the EVF that I had in the NEX 7 and also in the RX10 IV; going back to an optical VF in my Nikons just felt odd to me and I found myself using the other two cameras, especially that RX10 IV, more and more.... Of course then I kind of went backwards when it came to size of gear, as although the camera body itself is smaller than my DSLRs were, some of my lenses are significantly larger.... I never thought I'd be doing the whole tripod-Wimberley-long lens thing again! These days when I want small and light, plus versatile, I still reach for the RX10 IV.....
I'm glad you like my flower and plant shots. I love African Violets, too, and have three varieties. I am not sorry I have gone mirrorless. I love my Z6 that is why I am so tempted by the Z50. But the Z6 is still fairly small and I don't mind carrying it around. Always decisions to be made. Eventually I would love all my gear to be Z gear. But it takes time and money to switch for sure. I always agonize over my purchases. I overthink them way too much.

I definitely agonized over my decision -- for about a year-and-a-half. Hm.... no, actually I think it was longer than that. Part of the reason was that my decision-making process kept being interrupted when Nikon or Sony would make an announcement of something new (Canon was never under consideration)....so then I'd wait to see what that might be and whether it would suit my purposes and meet my needs. I especially wanted to wait and watch what developed when Nikon initially presented the Z series and lenses, since I already had Nikon lenses anyway and was interested in what they would be offering for native lenses. I kept wrestling with the decision, changing my mind a couple of times, analyzing everything to death. As the months rolled on at last I finally made my decision, chose what would meet my particular interests and needs. From what I can see from comments on here and other places, a lot of people are very happy with the Nikon Z series and the new native lenses, which is great! I imagine that system will continue to be popular as more native lenses and additional bodies are added. When the time is right to make any sort of change and go full-out Nikon Z mirrorless, you'll know it.

Week 37, Sept 13, 2020

Last week started off with a bang. On Monday (Labor Day) we were going to have a family picnic at our house. Some high winds were forecast for the PM but at 3:30 it was 84 degrees F and very beautiful. We were hopeful that the weather would hold out. By 4:30 the temperature had dropped 42 degrees and the winds were howling and it was raining. I left to pick up my mom for the picnic and felt like my car was being blown all over the road. When I got home, the power was out. Evidently the wind was blowing about 50 mph with 70 mph gusts.

The picnic got moved indoors.
_DSC4851.jpg
_DSC4850.jpg

The wind howled all night and was still howling the next day. When I got up and looked out the window, our yard was a mess. But nothing a little work couldn't clean up.

_56D8365.jpg

_56D8363.jpg
_DSC4857.jpg

The wind was still blowing hard.

_56D8371.jpg

Then I looked across the street and saw that my dear friends and neighbors had a tree blow over onto their house.

_56D8375.jpg

After a few hours I could see that they were out working on the tree. So, I went over to see what I could do to help.

It was a miracle that their deck had taken the brunt of the hit and there was minimal damage to the house. The couple who live there have health issues and would need help to clean up the mess. It wasn't long before word got out. I didn't get a photo of the army of people who came, but by the end of the day, it was all cleaned up. The other half of the broken tree was cut down and hauled away, too. All they have left to do is get a stump grinder to chop up the stump. (Another neighbor, who is a farmer, came with his tractor and tried to pull out the stump with no luck.) I missed getting photos of the action because I was home making goodies to take over to the workers.

IMG_1826.jpg
IMG_1827.jpg
IMG_1828.jpg

The last of our debris from the storm went to the dump yesterday. There were places who had lots worse damage than we did here. Northern Utah had hurricane force winds over 100 mph from the storm. We were amazed and awed by the power of nature.

_56D8534.jpg

Community at its best!
My son in SLC said he had to dodge al over town on his way to work—so many trees were down. Up here we got the wind too,. Unfortunately it whipped up a couple of fast fires, on of which wiped out the entire town of Malden, so 60 miles NW of us. We got winds, no trees down, but lots and lots of small branches.

Wow, Terri! You guys really had the weather, didn't you?! Whew! That is wonderful how everyone pitched in to help out your neighbors who had the tree on their house -- how fortunate that the tree didn't do serious damage to the house itself, just the deck...... You were very lucky, too, that your own place sustained only debris blown around in the yard, no trees down! Even more important that there were no fires in your area.

Nature can certainly wreak havoc, and surprisingly quickly, too....

Community at its best!
My son in SLC said he had to dodge al over town on his way to work—so many trees were down. Up here we got the wind too,. Unfortunately it whipped up a couple of fast fires, on of which wiped out the entire town of Malden, so 60 miles NW of us. We got winds, no trees down, but lots and lots of small branches.
I heard it was a lot worse in SLC and northern Utah. My daughter has a friend who had 10 trees blow over in her yard. That's terrible that it whipped up a fire that took out a small town.

Wow, Terri! You guys really had the weather, didn't you?! Whew! That is wonderful how everyone pitched in to help out your neighbors who had the tree on their house -- how fortunate that the tree didn't do serious damage to the house itself, just the deck...... You were very lucky, too, that your own place sustained only debris blown around in the yard, no trees down! Even more important that there were no fires in your area.

Nature can certainly wreak havoc, and surprisingly quickly, too....
You are right there. This storm blew in SO fast. It was amazing to watch.

Week 38. Last week it was a storm, this week it was smoke. The smoke from California as well as some Idaho fires has been really bad this week. I have mostly tried to stay indoors except for my daily walk. I took the Z6 and 24-70 f4 with me on one walk right before sunset. I wanted to get some photos of how bad the smoke is. Not like some I've seen from Oregon and California, but it is bad enough.

_DSC5121.jpg
_DSC5122.jpg
_DSC5124.jpg
_DSC5130.jpg

The sun doesn't set at the horizon, it sets behind the smoke.
_DSC5145.jpg

Wow, that smoke and haze must've been really uncomfortable as far as the eyes and breathing went! Whew....! We had a tiny taste of the haze here but it didn't really affect our air quality that much, and just seemed as though it were a cloudy day. These fires in the West have really been devastating, haven't they?
It sure has been bothering my eyes and respiratory system. Idaho has had a relatively quiet fire season, but surrounding states have had it rough.

I got to spend a few days in Grand Teton National Park with Greg. He is having some hip troubles and we only tried one hike....which was not good for him. But we still had fun going on drives and exploring the beautiful location. I got to try out my new Z50 which will be a great, small camera for me. Here are some of Greg that I took with the Z50 this week. Also, #1 is a photo I took for the humor CS. But I couldn't get the internet to work well enough on my trip to get it posted.

I'm very blessed to have this special man in my life....

#1-Jackaloupe with Mask in Dubois, Wyoming.

DSC_0372.jpg

#2 Greg at Jackson Lake

DSC_0518.jpg

#3 Greg checking out the display at a viewpoint on the way to Dubois on Togwotee Pass.

DSC_0383.jpg

#4 The view from the Togwotee Pass rest area. It was very hazy from the wildfire smoke.

DSC_0380.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom