Critique Terri’s 52 Week starting halfway through 2020 Week 45 & 46 (Nov. 14 update)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have such gorgeous scenery out there! The depth and scope is amazing..... I also love the Jackalope with mask! LOL! Someone has a great sense of humor! :).

Looks as though you are really enjoying your new little Z50 and that it will indeed be a perfect travel camera!
Thank you, Connie. I think the Z50 will suit me really well. I love little cameras!

I think I've taken on more than I should with the 52 weeks, the CS, and the Oktoberfest. Good thing I took a lot of photos this weekend.

Spunky little Crosby.
DSC_1016.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sweet Little Brody
DSC_1034.jpg

Happy Little Asher
DSC_1246.jpg

My daughter's beautiful back yard.
DSC_1260.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I considered doing the Octoberfest and realized that it would be just too much for me when I'm also doing the 52-Weeks challenge as well and occasionally tossing something into the CS; the idea of having to do something absolutely every day and only with one or two previously-announced prime lenses for the entire month was just too daunting. Although I do shoot nearly every day, sometimes I might only do a couple of shots just for the heck of it and other times I might spend an hour or more outside with the camera. Right now this is the time for my long zooms to shine; my macro and other primes will be pretty much living on the camera during the cold winter months when I am indoors much of the time.

What a terrific view in your daughter's new back yard! They will enjoy watching the seasons change by the water and that is just a lovely location. I'm sure her whole family loves it, and this is great for entertaining, too!

You and Greg are fortunate to be able to spend so much time with your children and grandchildren -- precious time for developing wonderful life-long memories.....

Lovely boys Terri and a beautiful garden.
Yes, I considered doing the Octoberfest and realized that it would be just too much for me when I'm also doing the 52-Weeks challenge as well and occasionally tossing something into the CS; the idea of having to do something absolutely every day and only with one or two previously-announced prime lenses for the entire month was just too daunting. Although I do shoot nearly every day, sometimes I might only do a couple of shots just for the heck of it and other times I might spend an hour or more outside with the camera. Right now this is the time for my long zooms to shine; my macro and other primes will be pretty much living on the camera during the cold winter months when I am indoors much of the time.

What a terrific view in your daughter's new back yard! They will enjoy watching the seasons change by the water and that is just a lovely location. I'm sure her whole family loves it, and this is great for entertaining, too!

You and Greg are fortunate to be able to spend so much time with your children and grandchildren -- precious time for developing wonderful life-long memories.....
Thank you, Binnur and Connie. I feel very fortunte to be able to spend time with my grandkids. I know that many on the cafe live far away from theirs.

Week 41
The highlight of my week has been having our four year old granddaughter stay with us. We had a lot of fun visiting a local pumpkin patch where they have a little play area with a train ride and activities for the kids. I enjoyed using my Z50 with the 35 f1.8 DX lens on the FTZ.

Week 42. Busy photography week with the meme, CS, and 52 weeks. It's fun having a reason to get out and shoot!!

I've shared most of my photos elsewhere. So only a couple here this week.

Our transportation to get us on our adventures.

Zoey loved getting out, too!!

Nice looking car, and a good, practical size, too! When I was a child, long before the era of SUVs, my parents always drove station wagons, as they just worked so well for everyday transportation plus those times when a lot of stuff needed to be transported, whether it be luggage for a trip or something big from the hardware store...... Subarus are fantastic cars to drive, too -- some years ago I was helping a friend who could no longer drive and I would be the one at the wheel in her Subaru, and that thing could turn on a dime. Loved it!

Your little doggie is so cute! For some reason I thought your dog was a small white one; is Zoey a recent addition to the household?

Nice looking car, and a good, practical size, too! When I was a child, long before the era of SUVs, my parents always drove station wagons, as they just worked so well for everyday transportation plus those times when a lot of stuff needed to be transported, whether it be luggage for a trip or something big from the hardware store...... Subarus are fantastic cars to drive, too -- some years ago I was helping a friend who could no longer drive and I would be the one at the wheel in her Subaru, and that thing could turn on a dime. Loved it!

Your little doggie is so cute! For some reason I thought your dog was a small white one; is Zoey a recent addition to the household?
Zoey is 12. We’ve had her since she was a puppy. Sometimes I share photos of my kids’ dogs. That may be what you have seen.

Week 43

A cold, windy, wet week. I shared a photo of this tree on the meme a couple of days ago. Shortly after I took that photo this happened.

It hasn't risen above freezing today. It's a good time to stay indoors. Our house isn't anything extraordinary, but I love it. We have had a good life here.

Your house looks warm and inviting, Terri! I don't envy you the cold weather you are experiencing now, though! We've just had a taste of that today, which feels really abrupt after nearly a week of summer-like temperatures and sunny skies. I'm glad I went out shooting and took advantage of it when I did, as I doubt that once cold weather really sets in that I'll be outdoors all that much with the camera.

I really like the lighting effect on your pumpkin and other decorations....really very nice!

Week 44

Drove to Utah to spend Halloween with our daughter and her family. I took the Z6 and 50 f1.8 out to watch the kids trick or treat. I kept my distance from everyone and wished I had taken a longer lens. The weather was beautiful, the decorations amazing, and the kids were adorable. All in all a winner of an event. Most of the houses had the candy outside for the kids to pick up off of a table. Some handed them out with tongs.
_DSC6299.jpg
_DSC6302.jpg
_DSC6342.jpg
_DSC6353.jpg
_DSC6355.jpg
_DSC6359-Edit.jpg
_DSC6364.jpg
_DSC6365.jpg

The drummer on the roof was a live drummer. It was fun to watch.
_DSC6368.jpg
_DSC6374.jpg
_DSC6379.jpg

I am so glad to see photos of kids actually able to enjoy the traditional Hallowe'en this year! In a lot of places, my area included, going door-to-door trick-or-treating was discouraged and even the idea of residents simply leaving a box or container of candy outside their home for the kids was discouraged as well..... Some creative folks, inspired by what was illustrated in a video or two on the internet, came up with using long PVC pipes and such to magically whisk the candy from the masked resident's doorstep to the masked kid(s) standing at the bottom of the steps, but that isn't always practical in some situations.

In my neighborhood, no kiddies came by knocking on the door, and I didn't expect them, as this is a primarily adult condominium apartment complex, and the few children who are living here are usually tiny newborns/infants and very young toddlers, the first arrivals in the newly-developing family, as their parents are putting aside funds and pooling resources to buy their first single-family home with a yard for the kid(s) to play in as they grow older.... Often by the time Baby Number Two is on the way, the parents are ready or nearly so to make the growing family's move to a larger place to live! These condo apartments are really not designed for raising a family and they are just too darned small for two adults and even one infant/toddler..... So, no trick-or-treaters came to my door on Hallowe'en.....

Last edited:
I am so glad to see photos of kids actually able to enjoy the traditional Hallowe'en this year! In a lot of places, my area included, going door-to-door trick-or-treating was discouraged and even the idea of residents simply leaving a box or container of candy outside their home for the kids was discouraged as well..... Some creative folks, inspired by what was illustrated in a video or two on the internet, came up with using long PVC pipes and such to magically whisk the candy from the masked resident's doorstep to the masked kid(s) standing at the bottom of the steps, but that isn't always practical in some situations.

In my neighborhood, no kiddies came by knocking on the door, and I didn't expect them, as this is a primarily adult condominium apartment complex, and the few children who are living here are usually tiny newborns/infants and very young toddlers, the first arrivals in the newly-developing family, as their parents are putting aside funds and pooling resources to buy their first single-family home with a yard for the kid(s) to play in as they grow older.... Often by the time Baby Number Two is on the way, the parents are ready or nearly so to make the growing family's move to a larger place to live! These condo apartments are really not designed for raising a family and they are just too darned small for two adults and even one infant/toddler..... So, no trick-or-treaters came to my door on Hallowe'en.....
We left candy outside in a bowl with a sign to “please take one”, since we were going out of town. But most of it was left when we got home yesterday. So not many kids here. It was fun watching the kids do a normal activity. Won’t we be glad when life gets back to the way it was.

It will be a huge relief when things can get back to some semblance of what we all considered "normal," and "traditional" and such, but I have the feeling that this has already created some changes which may become the new "normal" anyway..... So let's hope that by next Hallowe'en kids will be able to out treat-or-treating just as we always had so much fun doing and that families can be making plans to spend the big holidays together again, too: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom