Terrible day for my D80

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bluth_Fan, Oct 4, 2008.

1. I was taking some wake boarding pictures of my friend on his boat when I went to the back of the boat to toss him the rope and the driver didn't see me and started the boat. So I fell off the boat with my camera around my neck. :( I have a warranty so the camera will be replaced or repaired by Circuit City (it is FILLED with water droplets and condensation) but my 70-300 I don't have a warranty for :(. I can't test it out until I get my D80 back, but it doesn't look like there's any water in it. I'm hoping the lens is alright! Ugh...what a bad day on the lake!

2. Sorry to hear that. At least your covered for the camera though - let's hope the lens still works when you get a chance to test it.

I've ruined gear by dropping it before (I think many on these forums have) so I feel your pain.

3. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    That's interesting. Is that an "all risk" warranty, that is, it covers dropping, drowning, theft, etc., much like a personal articles rider on your homeowners policy?

--- instead of just product quality/failure issues?

4. Yes - best decision I made was paying the extra $200 for total accidental insurance from Circuit City!!

5. Letsemgo

Letsemgo Guest

Send the lens to Nikon ASAP and tell them what happened, get an estimate and maybe just maybe they can save it..salt water's tough stuff. :( Bummer...

6. sjd996

sjd996

Sep 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Glad to hear you had a policy, but the $200 price was a bit of a shock - I'm assuming that covers several years?

It sucks when stuff gets damaged, most homeowners policies will add a rider to cover camera gear for events such as these - I'm paying $225/year for about $15k worth of gear (covers accidents, theft etc) - you couldn't even put decent protective filters on all the lenses for that little.

7. Sometimes.. it does pay to get that.

How long have you had your 300 lens?

8. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    I pay about the same for $20K+ on a rider on my homeowner's policy.

9. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have insurance through state farm on about $2500 worth of my gear and I pay $25 annually. I brought in a written document with my model#'s and serial#'s and they wrote the policy.

Because I have such a great relationship with my agents, they flat out told me if you're shooting as a hobby, the policy is cheap. If you say you do this as a job, the price jumps because there is the assumption you'll be carrying your gear everywhere including leaving it in the car so it's higher risk.

p.s. Sorry to hear about the gear.

10. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    oh Mylene that is awful...first of all I am glad you are ok, and I am sorry to hear about your gear. I will keep my fingers crossed on the lens

11. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Sorry to hear about the gear...camera is probably a goner...The lens??...

IIRC, a new 70-300 is about $500.00. Don't know what nikon will charge you to evaluate and or repair...You may want to weigh your options prior to handing it over to Nikon.

12. Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

It's unfortunate but the body will be replaced...yay for accidental warranties! :) I think I'll wait it out and keep my lens out hoping it doesn't have condensation in it and get fungus. I'd hate to send it to Nikon and them charge me for the estimate to tell me there's nothing wrong.

13. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I read one of the forums that a full disassembly and cleaning on an 18-200VR was something like $175-300. I have confidence the lens will be fine with no use for a couple of weeks and putting it through it's range every other day to dry, BUT the problem lies in the fact that the water WILL leave some sort of spots on the inside of the lens.

I would send it in ASAP.

14. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

If the extimate on the lens is going to run north of say, $300.00 plus tax, shipping and insurance...It may be frugal to just purchase a new lens...maybe..

15. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    so sorry to hear that :(
    I hope your lens is okay.
    Glad your D80 is under warranty.
    Glad you are okay as well.

16. Thanks again everyone for the understanding words - it makes me feel less...distressed. I think for now I'm going to wait for the camera to get back to test out the lens and if it's damaged, I'll send it in or shop for a new one at an affordable price, depending on the repair cost. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions! :)