Terrible First Shots - Sigma 50-500 Bigma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken-L, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

These are just awful. The compositon is terrible. The focus is so-so. Camera shake is evident. Colors are blah. :cry:

These were all hand-held. Outside shots - it was raining. Inside shot was low light and back-lit. Thought I would give it a worst-case tryout after I took it out of the box. The good news is that I'm happy :p with the results, considering the above....... :x

Red Flower, From my front door, across the street, Hand-Held 50mm (75mm equivalent)

[​IMG]

Red Flower, From my front door, across the street, Hand-Held 500mm (750mm equivalent)

[​IMG]

Little-Bit, Hand-Held 500mm (750mm equivalent)

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Doesn't look too bad Ken, congrats!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Not a bad test at all Ken,

I can't hand hold a P&S :>)))

The kittys eyes are quite sharp. Curious about the CA..

Because of the high contrast against the white ??

Congratulations on the longggggggy....:>))

4. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Wow, not bad shots considering they're handheld. That's some difference in zoom with the flowers....that'd be amazing if you got a TC on there too....;)

Joel.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I hadn't realized until a few minutes ago that for the cat shot the shutter was at 1/30th. I got the 24-120VR because I have to work so hard at holding steady, so I am really quite pleasantly surprised that the hand-held shots were not too bad.

6. Good going! Now how about a shot of the lens itself mounted on the camera?

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ken, you are your own toughest critic. The images weren't bad at all. The composition wasn't a masterpiece, but it was never meant to be. You were anxious to fire off a couple of shots to get a feel for the new lens and the results were fine. I think that you are going to have a ball with that new monster and we can't wait to see more images in the near future. Speaking of shake...any effects from the earthquake? :shock:

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    500mm at 1/30th without VR is pretty darn impressive. I don't think I could do that with my 70-200VR, at least not reliably.

Keep us updated on your impressions with this lens. I must admit I've been tempted by what seems like an awfully cheap way to get to 500mm. The main thing holding me back is that I don't know how effectively I could use this lens without VR/OS because my hand-holding technique still has a fair amount of room for improvement.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Congrats and nice handheld images. I will keep my Bigma until I get a 500mm prime.

10. Wow Ken - You are on a lens acquistion run lately. 24-120 VR and now this beast. Very cool!

Ken - give us more pics when you can and a nice big report on what you think of it.

Congrats.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wau... That's one heack of a reach.... Don't even get me started on thinking of the possibilities!

UGH!!!

13. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I've had my Bigma for about a month and half now. At first I was worried about hand-holding so I shot eveything from tripod. I have recently started hand-holding - and it does some take practice but sharp shots can be had.

I think it is a great lens for the money and you will love it. I seem to be using it more and more on each shoot.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    See Ken, I told you that it was an excellent lens.... 8)

Enjoy.

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks, Chris - I'm as surprised as you are....

Thanks, Gale - I liked the idea of a longgggggy also being able to handle close too...I'm a Zoomaholic.

Thanks Joel, now I'm afraid to put it on a tripod; what if that's not as good?

Thanks Pa, that shot is coming - Uncle Frank had suggested an Avatar - I have to charge the battery on my backup camera to do it...

Thanks Frank, I thought I would beat the critics to the punch...We did'n't feel the earthquake here....

Thanks Jeff, I'll bet you could do that with your 70-200VR with only one hand, standing on one leg....

Thanks, I'll keep mine until I can't lift it any longer....
    Thanks Mark, I will not read in Lens Lust again, IwillnotreadinLensLustagain, IwillnotreadinLensLustagain, IwillnotreadinLensLustagain....

Thanks Paul, maybe I should quit while I'm ahead...

Hmmmmm.....

I fell back on some pistol-shooting "techniques" too - I'm much better with a handgun than a rifle OR CAMERA!

Yes you did Frank and I never doubted you, thanks....

16. Bigma is a great lens. I have one and I will never get rid of it. It's not the sharpest at 500, but from 50-400 it's pretty good. Much better than the 80-400 VR, which is only sharp up to 300.

17. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I posted a comparison of hand-held vs tripod in the Technical Forum......